• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for complaining about working conditions in online forum

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hello. I live in Illinois.

I work in the event industry. I work trade shows, charity events, mall promotions, etc.
These event jobs require a worker to work on his feet. So, if a worker is not on a break,
the worker is on his feet.

Furthermore, these are short-term jobs. Some jobs can last 1 day. Other jobs can last 5
days. Etc.

Some of these jobs are "W-2 employee" jobs, and some are "1099 contractor" jobs.

Recently, I was hired to work a certain event. This would be a "W-2 employee" job. The pay
would be $20 per hour before taxes. Sometime after I was hired, I was told that my schedule
would be as follows:

Day 1, 11am - 3pm

Day 2, 8am - 10:30pm

Day 3, 7am - 9:30pm

Day 4, 8:30am - 5:30pm

On Days 2, 3, and 4, there would be one hour of unpaid break.

Please keep in mind that, on Days 2, 3, and 4, outside of that 1 hour of break time, I
would be on my feet. Also, these would be four consecutive days.

So, we have two consecutive 14.5-hour days (Days 2 and 3). On top of that, each 14.5-hour
day has only one hour of unpaid break. On top of that, there are only 8.5 hours between the
end of Day 2's shift and the start of Day 3's shift. I would have only 8.5 hours to go
home, have dinner, sleep, have breakfast, and get to the event venue.

I was not very happy with this schedule.

I raised the issue with one of my superiors ("Superior #1") in email.

While the email discussion was happening, I wanted to get the opinions of some other people
in the event industry. I wanted to find out whether my negative opinion on the schedule was
warranted. So, I went to an online forum where event-industry workers from all over the
United States congregate.

In this forum, we are required to be registered under our real names. On this forum, I said
that my personal opinion was that such a schedule was bad, and I asked for other people's
opinions. I did NOT mention the name of the employer or the name of the event.

Opinions were split. Some people had no problem with the schedule, while other people
thought that such a schedule was very exploitative.

Unfortunately, one person figured out the name of the event. She had recently worked the
exact same event for the exact same employer with the exact same schedule, but in a
different city. She identified the event on the forum, and she said some negative things
about the working conditions that she had endured.

In my aforementioned negotiation with Superior #1, we did agree that I would work a reduced
number of hours on Days 2 and 3.

However, on the next day, another of my superiors ("Superior #2") sent me an email, telling
me that he had seen my post on the online forum. He said something like the following:
"You complained about working conditions on the forum. Because I am a nice and considerate
person, I do not want you to work in bad conditions. Therefore, I am removing you from the
event."

I told Superior #2 that Superior #1 and I had already agreed on new hours, and that I
therefore no longer had any issues with the conditions. But Superior #2 said that Superior
#2 did not want to present me to his client (the company organizing the event) because I
had criticized the event online. Basically, Superior #2 admitted that he was firing me
because I had criticized the working conditions online.

I pointed out to Superior #2 that I had avoided mentioning the name of the event and the
name of his company, and that it was not my fault that someone had figured out which event
I was talking about. Unfortunately, that did not change Superior #2's mind about firing me.

My understanding is that, under the National Labor Relations Act, W-2 employees can not be
fired for complaining about working conditions in online forums. So, given the
circumstances that I described, did the employer violate the Act by firing me? If yes, what
kind of punishment or penalties can be imposed upon the employer?

Thanks for any information.

quincy

Speaking out publicly about an employer comes with risks. The major risk is that the employer will not like what was said and terminate employment. Absent any contract to the contrary, this is perfectly legal.

An individual or an entity does not have to be named in a writing to be identifiable by content or context. Obviously your employer was identifiable by content and context.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
My understanding is that, under the National Labor Relations Act, W-2 employees can not be
fired for complaining about working conditions in online forums.
So, given the
circumstances that I described, did the employer violate the Act by firing me? If yes, what
kind of punishment or penalties can be imposed upon the employer?

Looking at the Employee Rights section of the NLRA, I don't see anything close to what you're describing. https://www.nlrb.gov/rights-we-protect/rights/employee-rights

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I think MidwestTech might have confused speaking out about working conditions to his employer or proper authorities (e.g., OSHA) with speaking out about working conditions in a public forum.
And I thought he was confusing safety issues (working conditions) with his situation. Having long working hours just doesn't seem to be a safety issue, especially working a trade show.

And I thought he was confusing safety issues (working conditions) with his situation. Having long working hours just doesn't seem to be a safety issue, especially working a trade show.
The working conditions that I was complaining about, could have created health problems for me. Standing for long periods of time could have caused problems with my legs and blood clots. Also, on Day 3, I would have worked a 14.5-hour day after only a few hours of sleep. Afterwards, I would have driven home while under extreme fatigue. I would have been at risk of getting into an auto accident.

Just Blue

The working conditions that I was complaining about, could have created health problems for me. Standing for long periods of time could have caused problems with my legs and blood clots. Also, on Day 3, I would have worked a 14.5-hour day after only a few hours of sleep. Afterwards, I would have driven home while under extreme fatigue. I would have been at risk of getting into an auto accident.
New words of the day...Uber, bus, taxi.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
First responders, military members, doctors, etc. all work far longer hours than those you listed and they are dealing with life-or-death situations.

CdwJava

Do doctors and first responders have only 8.5 hours between the end of one shift and the beginning of another?
That depends on their contract. In my state, 8 hours is the typical break for police, but when you count in commute and prep time for bed and waking up, the actual sleep time may be as little as 5 hours in many cases - provided they worked 16 hours before. Fire and EMS have some different sets of circumstances since they can work 24 or 48 hour shifts in many cases, and they often get 12-24 off as a minimum between shifts. But, there is a lot of variety there.

Bottom line is that the hours will depend on state law and MOUs.

quincy

I think you are going to find your termination was legal.

Had you been fired for (or after) filing a formal complaint over working conditions with the proper agency, you would be in a better position to argue your termination. You have very little protection from firing if you make derogatory comments about your employer and your working conditions on a public online site.

Keep in mind that the schedule that I was complaining about, was the schedule for ALL employees, not just for me. This schedule was sent to us in a mass email.

Now, the National Labor Relations Act protects public complaining about working conditions, if the complaining is considered to be "concerted activity". Here is a website about what "concerted activity" means:

https://www.vitacompanies.com/blog/concerted-activity

One example of "concerted activity" is 2 or more employees publicly complaining about working conditions that affect the complaining employees and many other employees, for the purpose of changing those conditions. Now, the fact that I tried to keep the company's name a secret may work against me. If I'm keeping the company's name a secret, then how can I bring about change? However, a previous employee of the company entered the online discussion, identified the company's name, and proceeded to give some criticisms of the working conditions that she had faced and that I (and many other employees) would be facing in the future. So, you have 2 employees (one current and one former) criticizing the working conditions that would be faced by many current employees. That may constitute "concerted activity".

Even a single person's action may be considered to be "concerted activity" if that action is supposed to alleviate bad conditions faced by many employees.

First responders, military members, doctors, etc. all work far longer hours than those you listed and they are dealing with life-or-death situations.
Does the National Labor Relations Act have some kind of threshold of how bad or dangerous the working conditions must be, for the public complaining about the conditions to be protected activity?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">