• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for having an accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I had been working for about six months with a company doing caulking work for large buildings. One day I was using a razor knife to open supplies, when I slipped and cut my arm. I had three layers of stitches to heal this quite large cut on my forearm. After I felt better (approx. 3 weeks) I went back to work. While working with my boss He had commented that I was working a little slow and I explained that my arm bothered me and was unable to squeeze the caulking gun as effiecently as I did in the past. He then fired me for working to slow. Do I have a case? If so what kind of lawyer should I contact to take care of this? Thanks.



Crickett, I am a licensed California attorney so I can give advice that only pertains to this state or advice of a general nature. The kind of lawyer you want to contact is a labor or employment attorney. You can find one near you at this web site. In your state of NY, since the termination occurred shortly after you came back to work, and in light of your conversation, you may have a claim based on a workers' compensation violation, if you have workers' compensation in your state. Otherwise, you may have a claim under the Americans with Disabilities Act (a federal law) or its state equivalent. Hope this helps!

Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential