• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

first amendment question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Of course civil disobedience creeps into these kinds of groups, but hey, at least we got people to PAY ATTENTION. Part of organizing IS agitating people enough to do something about it (vote, write your elected officials, educate others, etc.) Nobody wants to hear someone just complain. People need to act.
See, this is the whole problem. The OWS movement does have a lot of good ideas, but to get the general public's acceptance they have to get the general public's sympathy and understanding.

The average person will not, and never will be, sympathetic to someone who closes down his highway on-ramp at rush hour, bangs on drums late into the night and turns a public park into a pig sty. You have heard of Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals". Read it.

LdiJ

No, they are not. Especially if they are planted. In Wisconsin, we had very peaceful assemblies while rallying against the Koch puppet, Walker. Thank goodness those union thugs alerted us to his agenda for the "Budget Repair Bill". Because when we looked closer, we found out it was the tip of the iceberg.

Of course civil disobedience creeps into these kinds of groups, but hey, at least we got people to PAY ATTENTION. Part of organizing IS agitating people enough to do something about it (vote, write your elected officials, educate others, etc.) Nobody wants to hear someone just complain. People need to act.

I don't begrudge companies earning profits, but cooperate greed has really gotten out of control. The laws have enabled this to the detriment of the majority of society. They have to money to put up the ads to mislead the people - the lazy ones that don't check their facts. ("It was on tv, so it must be true") Walker's new ads are a joke. The 99% don't have access to that kind of cash. So, we must spread the word, person to person. We have been complacent for too long and we need to pay attention to ensure it doesn't get any worse.

Corporations are not people until Texas executes one. :p
Re the bolded: How many corporate profit and loss statements have you read lately? What is an acceptable profit margin to you? You do realize that the higher a corporation's profits are the more people they can hire and the more money they can spend, which in turn goes into the economy?

Are you aware that when profits are high, the stock market is high? Is the stock market high right now? You are aware that when profits are lower, that stock goes down, and all the retirees and other little people with their life savings invested in the stock market lose their shirt?

How do YOU define "corporate greed"? Are you aware that the government has no control over corporate profits and never will have unless we become a communist country?

Now, if you wanted to rally the nation to stop buying goods from a specific company because that company pays their CEO waaaay too much money...more power to you. However, you won't accomplish that goal by camping in public or private green places.

Hey....the "power of the people" made the big banks back down on debit card fees, without a single "occupation". All people had to do was show their displeasure by changing banks.

cyjeff

No, they are not. Especially if they are planted.
Ah.. so we are back to this. Please provide the names of the planted people and the names of the folks planting them so that we believe you.

Otherwise, you are just going to have to accept that you are attracting the yahoos, whackjobs and nutcases.

Present company excepted, of course.

In Wisconsin, we had very peaceful assemblies while rallying against the Koch puppet, Walker. Thank goodness those union thugs alerted us to his agenda for the "Budget Repair Bill". Because when we looked closer, we found out it was the tip of the iceberg.
Wait until you read ANY major piece of legislation.

Start with the Health Care Reform bill... it will curl your hair.

All you have DONE is complain. That is the only meaningful output of the entire effort. Well, that and the children that will result from the sex. Do you have to name the little buggers after the park they were conceived in?

But I digress. You are surrounded by other OWSers, and so you have convinced yourself that since everyone within 10 square yards believes as you do that you have changed the world. You are mistaken. Most people really don't care what you are saying because every interview displays two things... your group's lack of personal hygiene and your inability to actually state what your goals are beyond a nebulous "they have it and we want it" chant.

You will find that demanding their money will really not motivate the rich to give it to you. Strangely enough, they will need a slightly more compelling argument than "the new iPhone came out and I want one".

I don't begrudge companies earning profits, but cooperate greed has really gotten out of control.
So, exactly how much profit does that mean is allowed under your plan? OWS talk in generalities while demanding specifics from the other side.

What is an appropriate amount of profit? What is an appropriate tax rate for all people by level of income?

Corporations are not people until Texas executes one. :p
Google "Enron".

occupyideas

Thank you

Occupy Boston managed to get a temporary restraining order issued. You may want to read up on their pleadings: http://aclum.org/occupy_legal
Thanks so much Stevef. Very interesting! And to others, we were asking not to have arguments about Occupy because there are other forums for that. Also, this whole "we will not do your homework" reply is odd; if we've somehow offended you, please forgive us for asking for free legal advice on the legal forum at freeadvice.com.

Tongue out of cheek - for those of you genuinely interested in discussing Occupy, we welcome you to visit our youtube page, where we dialog with people on all sides of the political spectrum. Thanks again stevef and others who responded apolitically.

cyjeff

Thanks so much Stevef. Very interesting! And to others, we were asking not to have arguments about Occupy because there are other forums for that. Also, this whole "we will not do your homework" reply is odd; if we've somehow offended you, please forgive us for asking for free legal advice on the legal forum at freeadvice.com.

Tongue out of cheek - for those of you genuinely interested in discussing Occupy, we welcome you to visit our youtube page, where we dialog with people on all sides of the political spectrum. Thanks again stevef and others who responded apolitically.
Again, only dialogue on your terms. You seem to see yourself in control when there is no apparent evidence of the fact.

No, I will not go to a YouTube page where you can pontificate.

Silverplum

And to others, we were asking not to have arguments about Occupy because there are other forums for that.
We'll do whatever we please.

occupyideas said:
Also, this whole "we will not do your homework" reply is odd; if we've somehow offended you, please forgive us for asking for free legal advice on the legal forum at freeadvice.com.
We. Don't. Do. Homework.

Seems so very basic. You do your own research. It's a shame, yet no surprise at all, that you can't figure that out. :rolleyes:

occupyideas said:
We think you're a bunch of spoiled poodles with piss-poor hygiene (pun intended).

We have no desire to view your poodle page with your poodle-like little "ideas," none of which you can defend with even one of us here on FA.

:rolleyes:

Antigone*

These occupy idiots can occupy their encampments, they can occupy their own ideas, but no way in haedes are they ever going to occupy space in my head.

<spit> I'm out:cool:

The spit is for the spitting these occupiers did on innocent people who were trying to enter a bank to take care of their own business.:cool:

Dillon

but aside from the issue that you ignored the request to provide your state (and this is a federal issue anyway), your right to protest does not supersede other rights. The government does have the right to put controls on a protest including but not limited to: requiring a permit, time of protest, place of protest, and size of group
do it on private property, and notice the authorities of the time and place and number of people and no permit is needed...

call it the exercise of freedom of speach Notice.

---------

actually on private property one does not need governmet permission to conduct private business, Right?

justalayman

do it on private property, and notice the authorities of the time and place and number of people and no permit is needed...

call it the exercise of freedom of speach Notice.

---------

actually on private property one does not need governmet permission to conduct private business, Right?
actually, even on private property, there are situations where a permit would be required. Think; Woodstock.

Dillon

actually, even on private property, there are situations where a permit would be required. Think; Woodstock.
just make it by private invitation only on private property and not open to the public, and dont Notice the government nothin, that should end that issue.

Thanks justalayman

Last edited:

JennK2009

Sorry, Occupiers, the law is not in your favor. I just found these links on The Daily Beast.

FindLaw | Cases and Codes

Clark v. Community for Creative Nonviolence

LdiJ said, "Hey....the "power of the people" made the big banks back down on debit card fees, without a single "occupation". All people had to do was show their displeasure by changing banks."

People were empowered by this movement to do something - OWS helped spread that message. Keep writing ALL your elected representatives, even the ones you didn't vote for. I'm continually writing to our Koch addicted Governor.

I like one comment read where someone suggested our congressional members should dress like the Nascar racers - and wear their cooperate sponsorships on their backs.

They chant "99%" but I don't think that the 2% or 3% are showing up; maybe they should chant "96% or 97%"...

If they wanted to, just support a flat tax based on all income (gains, pay, etc everything coming in) without any deductions for anyone. Rate of 15-17.5% flat tax.

Some dude making 10K would pay 1.5K; dude making 1 mil pay 150K.

Why should I pay 60K/yr and some other person pay nothing or even get free money back???

JennK2009

I’m part of the 53%. And, I very much support the OWS movement. I encourage civil disobedience when trying to enrich the law. Rosa Parks is my hero. Le

Voting should be a responsibility (some countries have a mandatory vote) and let paying taxes be a right (to contribute to cleaned roads, keep children off the streets for at least six hours a day, electricity, anything for the common good of the community.)

Co-ops. Not Cooperations.

Proserpina

This is the kind of thread that makes me wonder how many posters have lived somewhere other than the US, and for how long.

Sheer curiosity.

:cool::cool::cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">