• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Amendment vs Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

traveltech

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I am a chiropractor and am going to come right out and say I am a criminal. I was charged and admitted to insurance fraud and beating up my girlfriend and throwing her down the stairs at my home/business. Another person, who has been out to discredit me with my profession because of my criminal history, sent a link of a news paper article about my crimes to my Facebook friends. I am not sure how he got them since my friends list is private. I don't want friends and family that already don't know about my felony history learning about it. Can this other person be charged with harassment or something? Is this protected by the First Amendment?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I am a chiropractor and am going to come right out and say I am a criminal. I was charged and admitted to insurance fraud and beating up my girlfriend and throwing her down the stairs at my home/business. Another person, who has been out to discredit me with my profession because of my criminal history, sent a link of a news paper article about my crimes to my Facebook friends. I am not sure how he got them since my friends list is private. I don't want friends and family that already don't know about my felony history learning about it. Can this other person be charged with harassment or something? Is this protected by the First Amendment?
Your criminal history is public record.

tranquility

A single act of that nature is not going to be harassment.

§ 2709. Harassment.

(a) Offense defined.--A person commits the crime of harassment when, with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another, the person:

(1) strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects the other person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same;

(2) follows the other person in or about a public place or places;

(3) engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which serve no legitimate purpose;

(4) communicates to or about such other person any lewd, lascivious, threatening or obscene words, language, drawings or caricatures;

(5) communicates repeatedly in an anonymous manner;

(6) communicates repeatedly at extremely inconvenient hours; or

(7) communicates repeatedly in a manner other than specified in paragraphs (4), (5) and (6).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">