• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Home Found Problems Help!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rhonda1972

What is the name of your state?

Maryland

I just brought my first house. I had it inspected by a reputable home inspector. The home inspector wrote down on her report that a structural engineer examine the basement, because she seen cracks that were vertical and horizontal. The horizontal lines were a major concern after talking to my home inspector and my realtor I had the realtor draw up an additional agreement between the seller and I to make all repair. One of the items listed was the basement to have it inspected by a professional. Later my realtor summated a document from a building contractor, which stated that points need to be cut out and "pointed up" on the basement wall. I first questioned why it was a building contractor and not a structural engineer? I questioned my realtor she said that he has the credentials and the ability to inspect the basement for soundness. I then call the lady who inspected my house to verify with her if this was acceptable that a building contractor and not a structural engineer inspect the basement. She consulted with her supervisor and said that it was acceptable. I then accepted the findings. I have been in the house for about 5 months now and it appears that the basement wall is puckering out more than when I brought the house. With no were to turn I called a couple of Waterproofing companies to examine the basement since I could not find a local structural engineer and the ones I did find did not want to travel to my area. (too far out) The two waterproofing companies said that the wall is NOT okay and I have Hydrostatic Pressure behind the wall. Only one wall is underground. Both companies told me I need a sump pump and one said I need a sump pump and 5 I beams to support the wall.

I am trying to find someone that can help me. I am concerned that the waterproofing companies are number one out to make money and to look out for their own interest.
After researching and reading a lot of material on the Internet I have read over and over that horizontal cracks could be very serious. One of the waterproofing companies took a device that detects water used it and confirmed that water is behind the blocks closest to the floor of the basement.
Can you please help I don’t know what my rights are and what exactly the problem is since I have been told so many different theories.

HomeGuru

Rhonda1972 said:
What is the name of your state?

Maryland

I just brought my first house. I had it inspected by a reputable home inspector. The home inspector wrote down on her report that a structural engineer examine the basement, because she seen cracks that were vertical and horizontal. The horizontal lines were a major concern after talking to my home inspector and my realtor I had the realtor draw up an additional agreement between the seller and I to make all repair. One of the items listed was the basement to have it inspected by a professional. Later my realtor summated a document from a building contractor, which stated that points need to be cut out and "pointed up" on the basement wall. I first questioned why it was a building contractor and not a structural engineer? I questioned my realtor she said that he has the credentials and the ability to inspect the basement for soundness. I then call the lady who inspected my house to verify with her if this was acceptable that a building contractor and not a structural engineer inspect the basement. She consulted with her supervisor and said that it was acceptable. I then accepted the findings. I have been in the house for about 5 months now and it appears that the basement wall is puckering out more than when I brought the house. With no were to turn I called a couple of Waterproofing companies to examine the basement since I could not find a local structural engineer and the ones I did find did not want to travel to my area. (too far out) The two waterproofing companies said that the wall is NOT okay and I have Hydrostatic Pressure behind the wall. Only one wall is underground. Both companies told me I need a sump pump and one said I need a sump pump and 5 I beams to support the wall.

I am trying to find someone that can help me. I am concerned that the waterproofing companies are number one out to make money and to look out for their own interest.
After researching and reading a lot of material on the Internet I have read over and over that horizontal cracks could be very serious. One of the waterproofing companies took a device that detects water used it and confirmed that water is behind the blocks closest to the floor of the basement.
Can you please help I don’t know what my rights are and what exactly the problem is since I have been told so many different theories.
**A: here is the first thing that you should do. Hire a structural/civil engineer.
Next, have a meeting with your real estate agent and the principal broker.

Rhonda1972

Re: Re: First Home Found Problems Help!!!!

HomeGuru said:
**A: here is the first thing that you should do. Hire a structural/civil engineer.
Next, have a meeting with your real estate agent and the principal broker.

***1/20/04 Update
Thank you for your advice HomeGuru; sorry i am new to this website. Anyway I am in the process of hiring a structural engineer and paying for a written report This typically runs about $600 - $900. just for him to inspect!
If his findings are of concern i will then call the realtor that sold me the house and tell her i would like to have a meeting with her. I do not know what principal broker is. I am single and brought the house on my own without any help. I didn't no go through a lawyer either. I don't know what exactly i should do. I am so worried about this it is really effecting me. God Bless
Is there any way i can attach pictures of the basement???

HomeGuru

Re: Re: Re: First Home Found Problems Help!!!!

Rhonda1972 said:
***1/20/04 Update
Thank you for your advice HomeGuru; sorry i am new to this website. Anyway I am in the process of hiring a structural engineer and paying for a written report This typically runs about $600 - $900. just for him to inspect!

**A: you are correct.
If his findings are of concern i will then call the realtor that sold me the house and tell her i would like to have a meeting with her.

**A: I did not mean to imply that you hire the engineer first and then later meet with your real estate agent. Do both at the same time.

I do not know what principal broker is.

**A: it is your real estate agent's boss. The person legally responsible for the actions of your real estate agent.
I am single and brought the house on my own without any help. I didn't no go through a lawyer either. I don't know what exactly i should do. I am so worried about this it is really effecting me.

**A: well not you need to hire the attorney that you should have hired in the first place.

God Bless
Is there any way i can attach pictures of the basement???

**A: I am not sure so contact the forum admin. person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">