• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FLorida Alimony modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bali Hai

The two people who entered into a marital contract? If that were the case, alimony wouldn't be needed!

If states copied the TX model, you would find many more folks actually trying to help themselves instead of sitting back and bilking their ex.
You gotta wonder how we got into this nightmare in the first place.

brokeinflorida

Well FLorida pretty much sucks! Alimony reform is in dire need in this state. The Ex wife was only 40 at the time of the D, like 6 years ago. She has the ability to earn more money and choses not too. All the children are now adults, no need to stay home and tend to them and hasn't been for a while. They do base the alimony ordered on her "need" less the contribution of the SO. Stupid, but at least it was a somewhat positive outcome. They tried to argue that there was not a supportive relationship, it didn't fly. Now maybe they will get married and get her off the payroll before retirement.

Antigone*

Well, actually the day in court was already on the books and has since occurred.....alimony WAS reduced and significantly!!! Just saying!!! It still exists, but she did not have as great a need based on her SO living with her and contributing to her living expenses. Therefore Alimony was reduced based on his contribution. Happy Happy Day!!!!
You posted your question on the 7th, said you'd meet with an attorney to roll the dice, and now you've won:eek:

Darn, that is the OG pheomonen on steroids.

eta... it looks like the OP deleted this post, or am I nuts???

brokeinflorida

Haa! this whole thing has been underway for over a year...as the actual hearing was approaching (after failed mediation attempts) I was throwing it out there to see what the advice of others was looking like, trying to decide if I should settle for the not so fair offer or take my chances in court. I guess I pay for the milk and the SO gets the heffer....I am still much better off.

tuffbrk

And that is truly what is important. You're better off, feeling a little less stressed- means you'll live longer to pay the ex.

Heehee:D couldn't resist!!

Eventually some legislators are going to have to sit up and pay attention! The ones that are divorced, that don't have any truly horrific skeletons in their closet may be willing to step up to the plate at some point.

Glad you got a reduction in the amount. Gives the rest of us something to hope for!!

Proserpina

And that is truly what is important. You're better off, feeling a little less stressed- means you'll live longer to pay the ex.

Heehee:D couldn't resist!!

Eventually some legislators are going to have to sit up and pay attention! The ones that are divorced, that don't have any truly horrific skeletons in their closet may be willing to step up to the plate at some point.

Glad you got a reduction in the amount. Gives the rest of us something to hope for!!

Um...you might be waiting around for awhile there....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">