• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida - Car dealership "We Owe" legality?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fuddrucker

What is the name of your state? Florida

I've been trying to purchase a new car. I finally located one I wanted and went to the dealership for negotiations yesterday. We finally agreed on a payment of $439.00/month after tradein (I am $5000 upside down) at 0.0% interest, $0 down for 72 months on a new Ford Mustang GT.

I asked for it in writing, as I've had problems with dealers calling me back after agreements have been reached, and even in one case after I had taken my vehicle home. I went outside to make a phone call, and when I came back inside, they had filled out a "We Owe" slip detailing the above agreement, along with my name and address and all the vehicle's information, signed by the sales manager.

I came back today to sign the contract and do the trade-in, and was told they were still processing paperwork, it would be a few minutes. After 45 minutes, I was told that they could still do the agreed upon deal, but I would need a co-signer to get 0 down.

I said that was fine, my father is on my current loan anyway, and he said he would be more than willing to go on this one as well. They had run his credit the day before and said that would work fine.

The salesman disappeared into an office and returned with the sales manager. I was informed that we had agreed upon $1000 down, not $0. He produced a sheet of computer paper with several blue marker scribbles on it from the day before when we were negotiating, and pointed to a large "$1000 _________" that was circled where he had wanted me to sign.

I was informed that they would not be honoring the $0 down as written on my signed paper, the general manager told me the same thing and claimed it had been a mistake.

Does this paper have any legal bearing whatsoever?

Thanks.

shortbus

If you're asking whether the computer paper with scribbles represents an enforceable contract, no it does not. It's a record of the negotiation. Tell the dealer you're going elsewhere to buy a car. (Though why you'd trade in a car with $5000 negative equity is a mystery ...)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">