• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida resident health insurance but staying in Arizona for months at a time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.
My mother wants me to stay with her (basically be her care taker) but I want (and need) to keep my Florida health insurance. Is this possible by maintaining a florida address and then fly there for my Dr visits? I know I can still get my meds at a pharmacy in AZ and have no co-pay to worry about. I mean if I keep my FL driver license with my FL address would that be a problem?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.
My mother wants me to stay with her (basically be her care taker) but I want (and need) to keep my Florida health insurance. Is this possible by maintaining a florida address and then fly there for my Dr visits? I know I can still get my meds at a pharmacy in AZ and have no co-pay to worry about. I mean if I keep my FL driver license with my FL address would that be a problem?
Why do you want to keep your FLorida health insurance? Most likely you can.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Theoretically that would work. However, before you commit to this you need to check what kind of coverage you would have for emergency issues. If you get into a car accident on Rte 101 in Phoenix and are taken by ambulance to the emergency room, is it going to cover your entire hospital stay out of network, or is it only going to cover what it takes to stabilize you and then expect you to be taken to an in-network hospital? How much more is it going to cost you to fly back and forth than it would be just to buy new insurance in Arizona? Does your Florida insurance have a residency requirement - some policies require that you be in-state for x number months out of the year.

And that's not even discussing whether you can legally keep your FL drivers license when you're no longer living there.

commentator

Excuse me, but by "Florida health insurance" do you mean Florida's version of Medicaid? I have never heard of a private company called "Florida health insurance" or "Georgia health insurance" never head of a state specific brand of health insurance, but I have heard of KYCare, and TNCare, and other names for these states' versions of Medicaid. If this is the case, if you are on Medicaid through the state of Florida and you attempt to relocate and continue your coverage, you would be committing fraud. If this is what you are thinking of doing, DO NOT DO IT. They will catch you. Someone will report you anonymously, or they'll find records, or something, and they'll catch it, believe me. And Florida is in the mood to really really prosecute Medicaid fraud vigorously right now. More so than armed robbery, really!

If this is not an income or needs based program (with your suggesting that you would fly back and forth to use the coverage you do not sound low income) then I do not see any possible advantage in not informing the company of your new location. If they dropped you for moving out of state, which I cannot imagine anything but a state sponsored program would do this, but if they did, you should be able to obtain equivalent coverage in Arizona much more easily than you could continue this back and forth pretense.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Wow, never even thought of that. By Florida health insurance I just assumed he meant a policy that he purchased in Florida.

If Commentator is correct about the source of your insurance, disregard every word I've said and listen to her.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Wow, never even thought of that. By Florida health insurance I just assumed he meant a policy that he purchased in Florida.

If Commentator is correct about the source of your insurance, disregard every word I've said and listen to her.
I agree with you CBG on both what I thought and what Commentator stated.

My Florida health insurance is P.U.P (Physicians United Plan). I pay nothing for it. (zero co-pay,$0 for meds,$0 for ER visits, etc. and its medicare not medicaid. Only available in FL.

commentator

disneykid, from what I read about PUP, I suspect that they'd be GLAD to continue to insure you if you move out of state part time. But if I were you, I'd notify them, legitimately and save the documentation of where I'd done it. Do not use a false address, or try to deceive, because I can very easily see them denying any claim you submit because of your new residency when they discover it. And they're like social services, they'll find out.

From the number of complaints and reports available about this company, it might be better to get another insurance in Arizona anyhow. They're very cheap, yes, but the trouble is, they tend not to pay for much, either, if you have a real health problem or issue. You can get screwed in Arizona just as easily as you can in Florida, I bet.

Around my neck of the woods, there are some people who are in jail, and some who should be, because of small local (mostly Medicare supplement) insurance companies like this, where they had the policy, 'Tell Them Any F'n Thing!' (TAFT) when they're selling the policies, selling to those who need them and appreciated their cheapness, and then they were actually covering nothing or next to nothing when claims were submitted for big things. But if you like your insurance and want to keep it, I'd ask them. Practicing to deceive as you describe is just going to get you into problems.

justalayman

Around my neck of the woods, there are some people who are in jail, and some who should be, because of small local (mostly Medicare supplement) insurance companies like this, where they had the policy, 'Tell Them Any F'n Thing!' (TAFT) when they're selling the policies, selling to those who need them and appreciated their cheapness, .

wouldn't that be TTAFT?

but I love it. I think I'm going to start a business. Mind if I take your acronym?

The TTAFT Corp.

we'll tell you anything f'n thing just so you give us your money!!!!

never mind. After a bit of research it appears this is the most widely practiced business model in the US so those businesses have pretty much tied up the WDLBSS* segment (or as we in the business world like to abbreviate it, the BS** group) of the consumer market

*We Don't Look Beyond the Salesman's Statements
** the obvious aka suckers

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">