• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FOIA in AR

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dequeendistress

What is the name of your state? AR

Simple question:

In the readers estimation would a meeting of the chief of police, two city council members, two citizens and the city attorney at the city attorneys office be a violation of the FOIA? There was no public notice of the meeting.

I think so, but I am asking for other legal opinions.

dequeendistress

Yes I know what was discussed.

I also read the FOIA at
http://www.cio.state.ar.us/Legislation/FOIA/FOIA_text.htm

In which, to summarize, even if they are speaking of personnel that the executive meeting is to be called in public and then the session is to reconvene for public vote, if changing policy/procedure.

To ask a more specific question:

Am I right to assume that a meeting of one or more council members discussing any city or municipality manner, that prior to the meeting there should be some sort of public notice of the meeting. Even if one or more meet and talk about the weather, there may need to be a public notice just to keep the public from losing trust..

Public funds = public government, right?

Now in this particular you have two council members, one city employee, one city attorney, two citizens, do you think that is acceptable?

They were not discussing the weather, but were discussing city related business.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">