• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Food Service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Molly

The restaurant that I work at recently had an employee meeting where they informed us that we must wear "dry cleaned heavy starched" shirts and a certain brand of shoe. In addition, the shirts must be 100% cotton. If we don't, he says we're fired. I wouldn't mind complying; however, in the food service business you don't make much money and it can be expensive to have your clothes drycleaned. The shoes he wants us to purchase are called "doc martins" and I understand that they cost about $100. Can my employer require us to do this? I thought that if a specific uniform was required for the position that the company must pay for it. Is there a different standard for the food industry? Does the number of employees affect the rules?

A

Attorney_Replogle

Without knowing which state you live in, the general rule here in California is that an employer is free to set its own work uniform rules. Nor is an employer required to provide the uniforms free or at a reduced cost. Next, here in California an employer can terminate an employee at any time, with or without a reason. Also, an employee is free to quit at any time with or without a reason. Keeping this in mind, the employer could certainly set a general uniform rule as such and terminate a employee for refusing to comply with that rule. I hope this helps!

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">