• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

For Dads & Moms Judge Tells Man to Stop Having Kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Judge Tells Man to Stop Having Kids
My husband's told me "No more kids," but a Wisconsin judge takes things to a whole new level
- See more at: http://www.parentsociety.com/news-2/judge-tells-man-to-stop-having-kids/?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=110812-IO1#sthash.MqAyS6v1.dpuf
My husband’s demands are clear: “No more kids.” After two kids in three years, he’s adamant that his days of procreation are O-V-E-R. But a judge in Wisconsin just took the mandate to stop having kids to a whole new level last week, when he told a dead-beat father of nine to wrap it up — literally.
44-year-old Corey Curtis had already fathered nine children with six different women — owing them a combined $90,000 in overdue child support ($50,000 is actual payments, and the remaining $40,000 in interest charges) — when he faced Judge Tim Boyle December 3 in a Racine, Wisconsin, courtroom. Judge Boyle sentenced Curtis to three years probation with an unusual stipulation; Curtis was prohibited from fathering any more children until he proved he was capable of supporting the kids he already has.
Think this penalty goes too far? If precedent is any indication, it may not have gone far enough.
In 2008, a Texas judge ordered a young mother convicted of failing to protect her toddler from child abuse incurred by its father not to get pregnant during her 10-year probation period. And just a few months ago, a Kentucky judge went even further, telling a man he’d just sentenced to up to five years on probation not to have sex at all until his term was up.
With so many methods of birth control available to Curtis and any potential partners he may have — whether it be hormonal birth control on the part of his sexual partners or his own decision to take advantage of male contraceptives like condoms or a voluntary vasectomy — the 44-year-old father of nine shouldn’t have to avoid intercourse completely for the next three years, like the man in Kentucky’s court-ordered punishment.
As for Judge Boyle, his only lament? That the law didn’t allow him to push the issue beyond telling Curtis to stop having kids. Boyle told a Wisconsin newspaper he wished the court had the power to force Curtis — and others like him — into mandatory sterilization.

Just Blue

I give a big high-5 to that
Judge. This is a perfect example of "The rights of the many (9 children needing financial support) exceed the rights of the few (man intent on populating his own small county).

single317dad

I've seen this several times, where a judge will make this or that order conditional upon the party not having any more children. While they can't directly stop them from continuing to procreate, some will try to make the penalties such that the party will rethink the matter. I can't imagine it's highly effective; if these people really thought before they popped out another kid, wouldn't they already have stopped? But kudos to them for trying.

ecmst12

Personally I am glad that judges don't have the ability to legally restrict sexual or reproductive activity.

OHRoadwarrior

This is the reason the country is being taken over by poor people and deadbeats. Statistics prove better educated, more affluent people, have less children.

Just Blue

This is the reason the country is being taken over by poor people and deadbeats. Statistics prove better educated, more affluent people, have less children.
Really. Our income in our area qualifies us as "poor". Yet we have only 2 children. Oldest is a University Graduate, lil'blue is in a gifted program. Both myself and their father are "drop-outs".

Please explain this "statistical anomaly"??

ecmst12

Statistics are averages, not individuals. And while that may be true, it's still not an argument in favor of legally forced sterilization. I want the government AWAY from my uterus please.

tranquility

While I completely understand the emotional satisfaction of such an order, I am appalled at it as well. Eugenics much?

Let's have the "darkies" not procreate as much because they're not as educated or affluent. I know such was the thought of Sanger, the mother of Planned Parenthood (look it up), I'm not on board with it. We won't talk of the statistics of abortion, however, because that would be.....I don't know, what would it be?

Just Blue

Statistics are averages, not individuals. And while that may be true, it's still not an argument in favor of legally forced sterilization. I want the government AWAY from my uterus please.
I don't disagree with you...BUT (isn't there always a "but"??) if a "father" or "mother" are popping out children with no regard for their financial support, should not the state have a "right" to say...STOP!!? After all the state is going to have to pay for the licentious results of these people.

My comments are based just on the OP.

Just Blue

While I completely understand the emotional satisfaction of such an order, I am appalled at it as well. Eugenics much?

Let's have the "darkies" not procreate as much because they're not as educated or affluent. I know such was the thought of Sanger, the mother of Planned Parenthood (look it up), I'm not on board with it. We won't talk of the statistics of abortion, however, because that would be.....I don't know, what would it be?
I read "War Against The Weak" . Eye opening reading.

http://waragainsttheweak.com/

I do not think that is the case in this OP.

ecmst12

That's a rather simplistic way to put it, but some things are sacred. There are some things that a citizen could do that would warrent surrender of control of their bodies to the state, but merely failing to pay child support is not one of them. Not everything in this world is about putting the money first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">