• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

For you immigration experts...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

M40, a newbie posted this in the child support forum, but I think it probably is best posted here, because as someone pointed out, there may be some issue with the sponsor application... here's the question:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I've been divorced for a while and I'm getting to know a divorced women in VietNam and she already had a son (5 years old). If I get married with her and bring she and her son to US and later for some reason I will divorce her and wonder if I will have to pay child support to her child in addition to the spousal support. Can I put every thing down in the Prenuptial Agreement that I will not pay child support to her child or the law will enforce me to do so?

Thanks.

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

M40, a newbie posted this in the child support forum, but I think it probably is best posted here, because as someone pointed out, there may be some issue with the sponsor application... here's the question:

I've been divorced for a while and I'm getting to know a divorced women in VietNam and she already had a son (5 years old). If I get married with her and bring she and her son to US and later for some reason I will divorce her and wonder if I will have to pay child support to her child in addition to the spousal support. Can I put every thing down in the Prenuptial Agreement that I will not pay child support to her child or the law will enforce me to do so?

CourtClerk, I agree with you that this is an immigration issue, but yikes!

The relevant contract is I-864. By signing it, he agrees to support his immigrants at 125% of the federal poverty guideline.. the spousal or child support is sort of built into it.
Divorce does not end this contract.

I can't imagine how a person could think it's OK to bring someone from their country that is SO very different from the US, do the love/honor/cherish/forever thing with them and contemplate kicking them loose with little or nothing.
An ethics forum is really what he needs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">