• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to seek alternative accommodation due to water outage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steve_w

What is your State? CA

Hi, our apartment complex recently experienced a water outage due to a burst pipe that lasted several hours into the following day. As I had no means to use either the bathroom/toilet or shower in my apartment, this left me with no option but to seek alternative accommodation at a nearby hotel. Do I have any rights/remedies as a tenant to seek reimbursement from the landlord for the overnight hotel bill on the grounds that my apartment was uninhabitable (lack of running water)? Note that I don't have renter's insurance. Thanks

adjusterjack

Do I have any rights/remedies as a tenant to seek reimbursement from the landlord for the overnight hotel bill on the grounds that my apartment was uninhabitable (lack of running water)?
No. Not the LL's fault. Things happen. If it had been your own home you would have spent the same amount of time without water, maybe even longer.

Note that I don't have renter's insurance.
Now you know why you should have it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OP - perhaps your renter's insurance will have a provision for this - take a look.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What is your State? CA

Hi, our apartment complex recently experienced a water outage due to a burst pipe that lasted several hours into the following day. As I had no means to use either the bathroom/toilet or shower in my apartment, this left me with no option but to seek alternative accommodation at a nearby hotel. Do I have any rights/remedies as a tenant to seek reimbursement from the landlord for the overnight hotel bill on the grounds that my apartment was uninhabitable (lack of running water)? Note that I don't have renter's insurance. Thanks
Don't be so melodramatic.

You could have bought a few gallons of bottled water and stayed in your home.

The only way you would have any reasonable expectation of a remedy from landlord would be if the burst pipe were in the complex proper, i.e. in a pipe owned and maintained by the complex, and even then, that would be not much - maybe some water, and certainly not a hotel stay, This wasn't even 24 hours!

If the broken pipe was not on the complex's property, it is definitely not the landlord's responsibility.

And you not having renter's insurance is on you and no one else - you are not owed extra from the landlord because you chose not to get renter's insurance.

OP - perhaps your renter's insurance will have a provision for this - take a look.
You're being ironic, right? :coffee:

FarmerJ

notr2 save me a cup for my wake coffee before going to work tonight, Steve while you can still get them in hardware stores I suggest you get a garden watering can and keep it on hand , not only are they great to spin the shower head off and use when you have to add water to radiator BUT with the shower head end on it becomes a emergency shower for when the water goes off again and a pair of 4 gallon size jugs kept in a closet empty so you can take them somewhere and fill them if the water goes off again . AS to your not staying there and renting a room at a local inn, your free to ask the LL but on a serious note If it was me as your LL I would have only considered a reimbursement of some kind if the water had been off more than one day BUT your LL had it repaired fairly quick. So feel free to ask , just don't be surprised if the LL says no , that renting a room for the night was your choice.

Just Blue

notr2 save me a cup for my wake coffee before going to work tonight, Steve while you can still get them in hardware stores I suggest you get a garden watering can and keep it on hand , not only are they great to spin the shower head off and use when you have to add water to radiator BUT with the shower head end on it becomes a emergency shower for when the water goes off again and a pair of 4 gallon size jugs kept in a closet empty so you can take them somewhere and fill them if the water goes off again . AS to your not staying there and renting a room at a local inn, your free to ask the LL but on a serious note If it was me as your LL I would have only considered a reimbursement of some kind if the water had been off more than one day BUT your LL had it repaired fairly quick. So feel free to ask , just don't be surprised if the LL says no , that renting a room for the night was your choice.
I agree with what you posted...but the pipe was a city pipe, not a LL property pipe. IMO LL shouldn't have to compensate for a problem that was out of his control.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree with what you posted...but the pipe was a city pipe, not a LL property pipe. IMO LL shouldn't have to compensate for a problem that was out of his control.
I don't believe that we were ever told whose pipe it was that burst...I could be wrong...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">