• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former Employer Claims I Owe Him $ for Mileage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

3DMike

I left the company about 6 years ago, and was re-hired when it was purchased by the current owner. I've been re-running everything in my head and just realized something. When I came back (roughly 3 1/2 years ago now), I discussed my mileage with the part-time bookkeeper (who made this error we're discussing) and told her what my driving distance between home and work was. She is now in her mid-80s and losing a step or two. Been doing the same thing for the company for probably 30 years, both with the original owners and the current one. She said "So I subtract 50 miles from your daily total." I told her "No, you subtract 100, right? Both ways." She had a hard time with wrapping her head around it and the conversation sort of repeated at least one more time like that IIRC. Clearly she never agreed with me, or just forgot or something, and ended up entering the wrong "distance-from-home" number in wherever she keeps that info.

The company is disintegrating, and I have had many conversations with her where she confided that she's just "tired of his shit" and should just just quit. She feels very mistreated and marginalized by the new owner, and probably only sticks around out of misplaced loyalty to the company. I'm going to call her to find out if she remembers that conversation, and see if I can get her to sign an affidavit to that effect to use in small claims court if it becomes necessary. She might jump at the chance.

justalayman

I left the company about 6 years ago, and was re-hired when it was purchased by the current owner. I've been re-running everything in my head and just realized something. When I came back (roughly 3 1/2 years ago now), I discussed my mileage with the part-time bookkeeper (who made this error we're discussing) and told her what my driving distance between home and work was. She is now in her mid-80s and losing a step or two. Been doing the same thing for the company for probably 30 years, both with the original owners and the current one. She said "So I subtract 50 miles from your daily total." I told her "No, you subtract 100, right? Both ways." She had a hard time with wrapping her head around it and the conversation sort of repeated at least one more time like that IIRC. Clearly she never agreed with me, or just forgot or something, and ended up entering the wrong "distance-from-home" number in wherever she keeps that info.

The company is disintegrating, and I have had many conversations with her where she confided that she's just "tired of his shit" and should just just quit. She feels very mistreated and marginalized by the new owner, and probably only sticks around out of misplaced loyalty to the company. I'm going to call her to find out if she remembers that conversation, and see if I can get her to sign an affidavit to that effect to use in small claims court if it becomes necessary. She might jump at the chance.

What time period are you being chased for to refund the overpayments from?

But the bookkeepers error doesn’t mean you are excused from repaying the improper payments. It means she made an error and errors generally can be corrected.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">