• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

found old check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

petomane

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I was going through old papers and found an old payroll check (uncashed) from January 2005 from a previous employer. Is there a "statute of limitations" for being compensated for my employment, ie must they make good the check??

thanks!!

mlane58

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I was going through old papers and found an old payroll check (uncashed) from January 2005 from a previous employer. Is there a "statute of limitations" for being compensated for my employment, ie must they make good the check??

thanks!!
Usually if you don't cash a check within a year from the date it was issued and then it is worthless. Why would you think that your previous employer should have to make good on the check when it was your fault it wasn't cashed? You snooze, you loose

pattytx

I'm not sure I agree with mlane on this. And I'm also not sure what the escheat requirements are for Tennessee (I'm not where I can check right now), but it's possible that the check has been cancelled and the funds turned over to the state as unclaimed property. Generally speaking, a check is negotiable "forever".

Have you called the company? They also may have stopped payment on it long ago.

I don't understand how people can have uncashed paychecks that are two-and-a-half years old. :eek: I need my paycheck on payday.

justalayman

I don't understand how people can have uncashed paychecks that are two-and-a-half years old. :eek: I need my paycheck on payday.

just a story to go with your comment Pattytx.

My das was notorious for always having 2-3-4 paychecks (uncashed) in his pocket at all times. Not sure why but that is the way he was.

I used to live in a second house he owned where he abandoned all the cars he used to drive. They become receptacles for anything and everything including household paperwork.

When it was decided to finally get rid of the cars, I started going through some of the stuff and junking a lot of the crap.

Mind you, this was about 1982 or so.

I found a paystub, attached to a paycheck that was issued in 1963. Wow!

The funny part was; on the stub was printed:

Replacement for lost check issued <some date in 1963 previous to the issue of this check (obviously)>.

Not only did he not cash the first check and ended up losing it but he never cashed the replacement check.

I presume there was a re-issue of a re-issued check somewhere in the accounting of his employer.

petomane

I called them today having found the check last night. The response was "wow, huuh, I don't know, we'll get back to you". I'm also one of those people who when they don't have direct deposit, will carry a check or two uncashed for a while until I get to the ATM.

thanks all for responses so far.

moburkes

I agree with pattytx. If your company uses an outside payroll company, this become easier because that company knows EXACTLY what to do with unclaimed checks. If it is a smaller company and the payroll is unhouse, they might not know what to do. But, the money should have been turned over to the state.

pattytx

Yep, should have been turned over long ago. The requirement in Tennessee is one year. OP, contact the state controller's office regarding unclaimed property. You can normally do this online.

petomane

follow up

Per your recommendation, I checked the TN website but alas could not find any funds under my name. After verifying the old check in their books, they cut me a new check...Sometimes it pays to go through those stacks of old papers!!

pattytx

Per your recommendation, I checked the TN website but alas could not find any funds under my name. After verifying the old check in their books, they cut me a new check...Sometimes it pays to go through those stacks of old papers!!

And sometimes it pays if the employer is noncompliant with the escheat laws! ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">