• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Founding business by H4 visa holder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

In a word, no.
You keep your career alive by doing something OUTSIDE the US if you're here on an H4.

woodykas

In a word, no.
You keep your career alive by doing something OUTSIDE the US if you're here on an H4.
I think there is a "grey area" in some cases like "H4 holder inside US doing some job for NON-US company located not in the USA and also receiving his reward not from US company and not in the US."

jairoebl

Thank you

In a word, no.
Thank you Ron, I'm actually studying right now, which is a way to keep me alive in my field. Once again, thank you for your time and answer.

Jairo

nikhil_dokania

Hi Lana,

You mention that 'You cannot be working in the US while in H-4 status. It does not matter where the company is registered'.

I do not understand why such a clause would exist. Immigration laws for employment tend to have the underlying idea that the alien should not displace a citizen w.r.t. employment opportunity. If the H4-B person works for a company in his home country, I don't see how this effects the US government?

Can you point me to a gov website where they specify this that H4-B visa holders cannot have employment even in their home country? I found Immigration Nationality Act on USCIS website, but I could not locate such a clause (see: USCIS - Immigration and Nationality Act).

I greatly appreciate what you are doing on this forum. I have gained from reading your posts. I am just having a hard time getting my head around this one.

Thank you,

Nikhil

karmiczen

How about benefits?

There are no restrictions on you opening up a business in the US and it can be of any size, any type of business entity, any amount of capitalization. The issue is that you cannot receive any income from the company in H-4 status so unless your position in the company would be such that you would qualify for a H-1B classification and your company would be in a financial position to petition for your H-1B status, it would not be possible for you to earn any money from your business.

Lana
Immigration Attorney
Hi Lana - I understand that the person on H4 cannot earn any income from the buisness he/she has started. However, can the business offer benefits like rent, car, medical insurance, etc?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">