• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"friend" skipped state and hasn't paid on motorcycle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeffcor90

I took my friend to small claims for crashing my motorcycle and not paying me after a long time the judge ordered him to pay me $3500, $400 a month until it was done with, he paid me the first month and after that nothing, he moved away and stopped contacting me etc. I recently found out what state hes in and where he lives. this is from 2009, is there anything that can be done? I am in California

quincy

I took my friend to small claims for crashing my motorcycle and not paying me after a long time the judge ordered him to pay me $3500, $400 a month until it was done with, he paid me the first month and after that nothing, he moved away and stopped contacting me etc. I recently found out what state hes in and where he lives. this is from 2009, is there anything that can be done? I am in California
When in 2009 did you get the judgment?

In what state does the fellow currently reside?

Last edited:

Whoops2u

You have 10 years from the time of the judgment to renew it. You are possibly not going to get all the things you need to get done by the time the judgment would lapse. If you think you can collect from this guy, renew the judgment.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1180.htm

After that, there is a process called domesticating a judgment. It depends on which state you want the judgment to apply to. The hard part on domesticating is that it often costs more money than can often be collected and gathering enough information to have the process go smoothly.

adjusterjack

I recently found out what state hes in and where he lives. this is from 2009, is there anything that can be done?
You'll have to domesticate (register) your judgment in his current state and enforce it there (even within the CA 10 year limit). You'll have to determine if the new state will allow the CA SOL or require its own, which could be more or less.

Jeffcor90

You have 10 years from the time of the judgment to renew it. You are possibly not going to get all the things you need to get done by the time the judgment would lapse. If you think you can collect from this guy, renew the judgment.

After that, there is a process called domesticating a judgment. It depends on which state you want the judgment to apply to. The hard part on domesticating is that it often costs more money than can often be collected and gathering enough information to have the process go smoothly.
So I would just have to fill out " Application for and Renewal of Judgment (Form EJ-190) and the Notice of Renewal of Judgment (Form EJ-195 " and mail them in? or? where do I have to refile?

Jeffcor90

You'll have to domesticate (register) your judgment in his current state and enforce it there (even within the CA 10 year limit). You'll have to determine if the new state will allow the CA SOL or require its own, which could be more or less.
How do I find this out?

Jeffcor90

Also, looking at the EJ 190 Form Im kinda confused on how to fill it out. Is there someone who would help me at the court or anywhere?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">