• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

G-Series Orders question for BCMR

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AF last chance

This is for the Air Force. But what is the requirement for an individual to sign Commander on a Letter of Reprimand?

This individual was not on the G-Series orders at the time however he represented himself as the commander.

This cost me my career and have since been separated from the Air Force and am working on my BCMR. Does anyone have a reference for the AFI or regulation that I can quote or reference for the brief.

Thank you this site and everyone here have been a great help.

ERAUPIKE

This is for the Air Force. But what is the requirement for an individual to sign Commander on a Letter of Reprimand?

This individual was not on the G-Series orders at the time however he represented himself as the commander.

This cost me my career and have since been separated from the Air Force and am working on my BCMR. Does anyone have a reference for the AFI or regulation that I can quote or reference for the brief.

Thank you this site and everyone here have been a great help.
AFI36-2907

Where did you get the idea that only a unit commander can issue an LOR?

AF last chance

AFI36-2907

Where did you get the idea that only a unit commander can issue an LOR?
The AFI 36-2907 states that an LOR given to an officer not their Commander the commander must sign the UIF form before it is entered into the members UIF file.

So I received an LOR from an individual that was not my commander and he was not on G-Series Orders at the time. He signed it as if he were the commander and then entered it into my UIF file with an endorsement from my Commander.

So an individual that isn't a commander let alone my commander signed an LOR that I received from him as a Commander in the signature block and then entered it into my UIF.

AF last chance

It appears he followed regulations.
My apologizes it was suppose to say...

So I received an LOR from an individual that was not my commander and he was not on G-Series Orders at the time. He signed it as if he were the commander and then entered it into my UIF file without an endorsement from my Commander.

ERAUPIKE

My apologizes it was suppose to say...

So I received an LOR from an individual that was not my commander and he was not on G-Series Orders at the time. He signed it as if he were the commander and then entered it into my UIF file without an endorsement from my Commander.
How exactly were you privy to this individuals orders?

ERAUPIKE

I was at all the change of commands, and a FOIA request.
1.2.1.8.3. Letter of Reprimand (LOR), Letter of Counseling (LOC), Letter of Admonition
(LOA), or Control Roster placement authority is the wing commander (or equivalent)or issuing authority, whichever is higher.

It seems that the individual that issued your LOR was the equivalent and, therefore, your LOR was properly issued.

AF last chance

1.2.1.8.3. Letter of Reprimand (LOR), Letter of Counseling (LOC), Letter of Admonition
(LOA), or Control Roster placement authority is the wing commander (or equivalent)or issuing authority, whichever is higher.

It seems that the individual that issued your LOR was the equivalent and, therefore, your LOR was properly issued.

Ok, that is the sections for the removal process. Below is the establishing portion of the AFI for Officers. None of these items are who established mine. The portion I bolded is the rule they used to establish the UIF. However as I stated earlier the individual that signed and gave me the LOR is not a Commander and as such could not establish the UIF or give me the LOR with an endorsement from the Commander which he did not receive.

1.2. Controlling UIFs. The following individuals have authority to establish, remove, or destroy UIFs
for:
1.2.1. Officers:
1.2.1.1. Commanders at all levels for members assigned or attached to their units may establish
UIFs on officers. Commanders must be senior to the member.

1.2.1.2. The commander, vice commander, staff director and directors at Major Commands
(MAJCOM), Field Operating Agencies (FOA), and Direct Reporting Units (DRU).
1.2.1.3. Chief of staff, deputy chiefs of staff, assistant chiefs of staff, other heads of staff agencies,
and directors assigned to Headquarters, US Air Force.
1.2.1.4. Comparable officers within the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Office of the
Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Office of the Secretary of Defense.
1.2.1.5. The Senior Air Force officer assigned to a joint command.
1.2.1.6. The Program Manager for Civil Air Patrol Reserve Assistance Program and the Admissions
Liaison Officer Program.
AFI36-2907 17 JUNE 2005 5
1.2.1.7. When a commander in a joint command, assigned to a different service, imposes nonjudicial
punishment on an Air Force member, the Air Force must decide whether to establish an UIF.
(See AFI 51-202, Nonjudicial Punishment).
1.2.1.7.1. If the senior Air Force officer or commander of the member's element is not available
or is junior to the commander who imposed the punishment, the General Court-Martial
Convening Authority (GCMCA) of the Air Force command decides whether to establish a
UIF.
1.2.1.7.2. If the Air Force host command does not have a GCMCA who is senior to the commander
who imposed punishment, a senior general court-martial authority of the Air Force
decides.

ERAUPIKE

Well, since you fancy yourself an expert o this regulation. Please cite where that authority is limited to only your commander.

AF last chance

Well, since you fancy yourself an expert o this regulation. Please cite where that authority is limited to only your commander.
Table 2.1 Rule 5.

Rule 5
LOR
2 yrs from the date the commander signs section V of AF IMT 1058 (final)
The received documents must be from the Commander.

This is the rule that only allows the Commander or higher to place an LOR into my UIF.

--------------------------

This is the section that states that the Unit Commander must endorse any LOR given to an officer.

3.4.1. For officer personnel only: If a person other than the unit commander issues a LOR, send it to
the unit commander for acknowledgment and endorsement via AF IMT 1058 and establish/file in an
UIF. Include the member’s written acknowledgment and any documents submitted by the member.

So again I repeat my question, can it be grounds for removal. Thanks

ERAUPIKE

No, you can nitpick all you want but I haven't seen any detail that would warrant the removal of an LOR for your misconduct.

AF last chance

No, you can nitpick all you want but I haven't seen any detail that would warrant the removal of an LOR for your misconduct.
So your personal opinion is I deserve for my rights to be violated. Wow thanks for the post.

So the legal answer is the LOR was illegally placed into my UIF which was a factor in my lack of promotion and subsequent involuntary discharge. Thanks for the help.

ERAUPIKE

So your personal opinion is I deserve for my rights to be violated. Wow thanks for the post.

So the legal answer is the LOR was illegally placed into my UIF which was a factor in my lack of promotion and subsequent involuntary discharge. Thanks for the help.
My opinion, based on the facts that you presented, weighed with the applicable regulations is that you have a snowballs chance of getting reinstated.

I'm sure that your persnickety attitude had nothing to do with your LOR and your subsequent discharge. You asked for my opinion, sorry if you don't like the answer. Next time, just PM whatever answer you would like me to write and I will provide that one so you feel better about the situation you created for yourself.

What rank was the person that gave you this LOR that was such a travesty of justice? What was his position?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">