• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garnishment - After 30 Times Minimum Wage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zamber

Below it says amount over $942.50 (30 times Federal minimum wage), will be garnished. Up to $942.50 not garnished.
Does this mean if the person makes $942.50 nothing is garnished, then he works extra and makes $100 extra ( $1,042.50 per month), will the ENTIRE $100 extra be garnished? Or does it mean a percent of that $100?
If all of the $100 is garnished, then it means the person works for free if he puts in extra hours, right?

More than $942.50 but less than $1256.66:
Amount ABOVE $942.50

$1256.66 or more:
MAXIMUM 25%

zamber

My question is about percent of income.
I used that calculator and from what I could gather, every dollar earned over $942.50 is taken, unless the wage goes way up.
So the practical question is, shouldn't a person limit wages to $942.50 per month and not work to make $200 more because the whole $200 will be taken?

quincy

My question is about percent of income.
I used that calculator and from what I could gather, every dollar earned over $942.50 is taken, unless the wage goes way up.
So the practical question is, shouldn't a person limit wages to $942.50 per month and not work to make $200 more because the whole $200 will be taken?
No. The person does not have the entire amount earned over $942.50 taken. The amount to be garnished still cannot exceed a certain percentage of the whole.

zamber

I put in $942.50 into a garnishment calculator and it said 0 garnishment. I then added $100 to $1,042.50 and it then said that now $100 would be garnished.
If this calculator is correct, then the person would be foolish to earn another $100 because the person would be working for free for those extra hours.
Total Deductions: $0.00
Disposable Earnings: $1,042.50
25% of Disposable Earnings: $260.63
25% Disposable Earnings Amount: $260.63
Excess of 130X Federal Minimum Wage: $100.00
Wages Subject to Garnishment: $100.00
Student Loan Garnishment Amount: $100

https://goodcalculators.com/wage-garnishment-calculator/

quincy

I put in $942.50 into a garnishment calculator and it said 0 garnishment. I then added $100 to $1,042.50 and it then said that now $100 would be garnished.
If this calculator is correct, then the person would be foolish to earn another $100 because the person would be working for free for those extra hours.
Well ... yes. The wage earner would need to earn only $942.50 if he did not want to pay anything to the one who is owed money.

zamber

Well ... yes. The wage earner would need to earn only $942.50 if he did not want to pay anything to the one who is owed money.
OK, but it gets back to the original question: If the person works 30 hours and earns $942.50, then the boss walks in and offers extra time to make another $100, does the creditor get the entire additional $100 earned over the first 30 hours?
Wouldn't the debtor be wise to stop at $942.50, because by working the extra time to earn the additional $100 would mean the creditor would get the whole $100 and he would be working for free for the additional hours?

quincy

OK, but it gets back to the original question: If the person works 30 hours and earns $942.50, then the boss walks in and offers extra time to make another $100, does the creditor get the entire additional $100 earned over the first 30 hours?
Wouldn't the debtor be wise to stop at $942.50, because by working the extra time to earn the additional $100 would mean the creditor would get the whole $100 and he would be working for free for the additional hours?
It is not "working for free." It is working to pay off a debt that is not going to go away until it is paid.

So, to my way of thinking, the more work and more money the better.

zamber

It is not "working for free." It is working to pay off a debt that is not going to go away until it is paid.

So, to my way of thinking, the more work and more money the better.
I am asking this question in regard to unpayable student loans debt, as in the original amount was $50,000, the person paid back $100,000, and the balance is owed is now $200,000! At some point, people just give up. This scenario is more common than people think.
So, I guess the answer is the extra $100 is taken by the creditor so the debtor should not work the extra time.

quincy

I am asking this question in regard to unpayable student loans debt, as in the original amount was $50,000, the person paid back $100,000, and the balance is owed is now $200,000! At some point, people just give up. This scenario is more common than people think.
So, I guess the answer is whole extra $100 is taken by the creditor so the debtor should not work the extra time.
What kind of student loan?

quincy

Have you looked into the student loan forgiveness programs?

I know the government has mucked them up a bit of late but, for the type of debt you have, it is worth exploring this option.

Are you working full time (30 hours+)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">