• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting out of a job? civil service?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Maryland

I have been unemployed for some time. 4 weeks ago I accepted a 20K/year job in housekeeping with the US government in DC. I filled out all the official forms and signed on the dotted line my intent to take the job. The background checks and doctor exam was done already. I was scheduled to begin working and eager to start working next week.

This week I received a 2nd job offer for 30K/year with another branch in the US government in DC doing housekeeping. This is a better job with more priviledges. I would like to take the job that pays more money since it is expensive to live in Maryland but am I responsible?

What can I do here? The government has already told the other applcants that the job was filled. It sometimes takes the government months to fill a job and the supervisor has been interviewing for months. Am I going to be forced to take the 20k job because I already signed papers and underwent the doctor exam and everything.

I could really use the extra 10k/year. I just don't want to get sued. There will be hard feeling, but I won't be happy at the job when I see that I am really worth 10k/year more than they are paying me.

Does anyone know about US government hiring rules and if I can legally weasle out and take the other job? Both jobs are in DC and I am in Maryland. Thank you,




I need some help here!!

Ward Jones here!! I need some advise. Does anyone know the Civil Service sector? Does anyone know about hiring in the Civil Service sector? I live in Maryland. Is there someone that knows Civil Service hiring laws in Washington, DC or Virginia?

I could get sued by the government if I do this the wrong way. I need some help from a lawyer. Thank you.



I'm a Northern Girl
sorry, Ward. I know absolutely nothing about this sort of thing. You may need to call an attorney in your area; many will provide free consultations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential