• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting physical custody of boys from loving but insufficient mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabithakf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WISCONSIN

My husband and I just got married. The only reason I am trying this is because I am a bit more tech savvy! :) Anyway, our question has a couple of components, legal and emotional. I cannot seem to find a resource anywhere on the net where the exes actually get along.

My husband has three children, all of whom he shares joint custody with their moms. In the beginning, he always thought it would be better off for kids to be with their moms as long as he was actively involved. I came into the picture and for three years, our relationships with the moms has gotten even better. We have supper, birthday parties, celebrate each others weddings, watch each others kids (his daughter has a new stepbrother and his boys have little brother from a different father). The daughter is in good hands-very educated, attentive, and loving (albeit dramatic) mom and step dad with many resources. The boys are in a home with a mom that loves them SO very much. She makes sure she goes to the doctor the second they need it. She laughs and loves on them. But the problem is, they only get attention when she has time. She is single and pregnant with her 4th child. She works a $10/hr job and supplements her income with child support (most of which she gets from my husband because second father doesn't make very much), free state care, foodstamps, regular money from mother and father. She has no control of the boys. She had a rough childhood (and her mother still is not good for the boys well-being). She thinks that she can show the boys she loves them by giving them everything they demand of her. They treat her like crap and misbehave in school (not WAY too badly at school) because of what she allows them to do. She doesn't challenge their brains. She can hardly keep things working around the house because there are three of them (little brother is 1 1/2) and they are constantly all over the place and hitting and screaming and fighting. She uses the wii as a babysitter while she does things around the house. She gives them verbal consequences but never applies them. I know--it sounds like she needs a parenting course and that it could be fixed. That isn't the case. She loves the boys, but that's not enough. She can help them grow into very average adults. Average is ok, but when their potential is screaming at us, my husband wants them to have so much more (not the bare minimum). I am a teacher, and I absolutely love them. I've been in their lives since ages 3 and 1 (and they are 6 and 4). I feel like our home is so much less emotional (no screaming or cussing and money stresses are kept to a minimum. Not only that, but we can really give them what they need. My husband and I are convinced that at the rate they are going, mom is going to call when they are 11 and 8 and say I CAN'T take it anymore (like she often does but then takes it back) and they will come live with us. It is a LOT harder to get kids that old back on the right track, especially if their mental and emotional needs have not been met for that long. We are concerned about their success as adults if they stay where they are. Mom loves them, but it's just not enough. 50/50 custody is not an option because we can't live in that town (WAY too far away from work for my husband). We always have lived within a 30 mile radius so we can comfortably go pick them up for random ice cream and can be there quickly if an emergency were to arise, but we can't live there where mom bought a house. (We don't know how she bought a house with so much public assistance and making 10/hr, but it happened and she is constantly talking about selling/bankruptcy to get out of it.)

Bottom line- we want physical custody (with moms very very regular involvement). What are the chances of getting it if mom is actually providing their basic needs (food, clothing, shelter) AND is not a bad person? We suspect that she smokes marijuana on occasion, but I'd give my right arm to say it's never been around the boys. We don't really want to use that to get the kids because my husband smoked marijuana regularly 5 years back. It's not a good lifestyle and keeps a mom from being interactive with her children, but it doesn't make her a bad person.

Secondly, in everyone's worldly experience, is there a way to get custody that hurts her just a little bit less? We love the relationship we've developed and she is truly a great person inside. We don't want her hurt at all, but know that pain is unfortunately a regular consequence of separated parents.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WISCONSIN

My husband and I just got married. The only reason I am trying this is because I am a bit more tech savvy! :) Anyway, our question has a couple of components, legal and emotional. I cannot seem to find a resource anywhere on the net where the exes actually get along.

My husband has three children, all of whom he shares joint custody with their moms. In the beginning, he always thought it would be better off for kids to be with their moms as long as he was actively involved. I came into the picture and for three years, our relationships with the moms has gotten even better. We have supper, birthday parties, celebrate each others weddings, watch each others kids (his daughter has a new stepbrother and his boys have little brother from a different father). The daughter is in good hands-very educated, attentive, and loving (albeit dramatic) mom and step dad with many resources. The boys are in a home with a mom that loves them SO very much. She makes sure she goes to the doctor the second they need it. She laughs and loves on them. But the problem is, they only get attention when she has time. She is single and pregnant with her 4th child. She works a $10/hr job and supplements her income with child support (most of which she gets from my husband because second father doesn't make very much), free state care, foodstamps, regular money from mother and father. She has no control of the boys. She had a rough childhood (and her mother still is not good for the boys well-being). She thinks that she can show the boys she loves them by giving them everything they demand of her. They treat her like crap and misbehave in school (not WAY too badly at school) because of what she allows them to do. She doesn't challenge their brains. She can hardly keep things working around the house because there are three of them (little brother is 1 1/2) and they are constantly all over the place and hitting and screaming and fighting. She uses the wii as a babysitter while she does things around the house. She gives them verbal consequences but never applies them. I know--it sounds like she needs a parenting course and that it could be fixed. That isn't the case. She loves the boys, but that's not enough. She can help them grow into very average adults. Average is ok, but when their potential is screaming at us, my husband wants them to have so much more (not the bare minimum). I am a teacher, and I absolutely love them. I've been in their lives since ages 3 and 1 (and they are 6 and 4). I feel like our home is so much less emotional (no screaming or cussing and money stresses are kept to a minimum. Not only that, but we can really give them what they need. My husband and I are convinced that at the rate they are going, mom is going to call when they are 11 and 8 and say I CAN'T take it anymore (like she often does but then takes it back) and they will come live with us. It is a LOT harder to get kids that old back on the right track, especially if their mental and emotional needs have not been met for that long. We are concerned about their success as adults if they stay where they are. Mom loves them, but it's just not enough. 50/50 custody is not an option because we can't live in that town (WAY too far away from work for my husband). We always have lived within a 30 mile radius so we can comfortably go pick them up for random ice cream and can be there quickly if an emergency were to arise, but we can't live there where mom bought a house. (We don't know how she bought a house with so much public assistance and making 10/hr, but it happened and she is constantly talking about selling/bankruptcy to get out of it.)

Bottom line- we want physical custody (with moms very very regular involvement). What are the chances of getting it if mom is actually providing their basic needs (food, clothing, shelter) AND is not a bad person? We suspect that she smokes marijuana on occasion, but I'd give my right arm to say it's never been around the boys. We don't really want to use that to get the kids because my husband smoked marijuana regularly 5 years back. It's not a good lifestyle and keeps a mom from being interactive with her children, but it doesn't make her a bad person.

Secondly, in everyone's worldly experience, is there a way to get custody that hurts her just a little bit less? We love the relationship we've developed and she is truly a great person inside. We don't want her hurt at all, but know that pain is unfortunately a regular consequence of separated parents.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

YOU will not have a chance at anything. YOU are not a party to their custody arraingments.

In fact unless their is a significant change in circumstance, nothing is going to happen.

As a new step mother, I suggest that you take 10 steps back. Love your husband but stay out of his legal matters ~ especially if you value the relationship you've created with mom.

2Mistakes

YOU can't get anything. YOU have no dog in this fight.

Your second paragraph was so long and rambling that I couldn't finish reading it. If dad has questions, have him sign up and post. Yeah, yeah, I know. You're more tech-savvy :rolleyes: but typing isn't rocket science. I'm sure he can figure it out. :cool:

Antigone*

O/T - commentary

YOU can't get anything. YOU have no dog in this fight.

Your second paragraph was so long and rambling that I couldn't finish reading it. If dad has questions, have him sign up and post. Yeah, yeah, I know. You're more tech-savvy :rolleyes: but typing isn't rocket science. I'm sure he can figure it out. :cool:
2M, I'm just amazed at the nerve of this overstepping step mom. How dare she say this mom is "insufficient." What:eek: does she walk on water???

tabithakf

*I don't think I'm entitled just because I have a title.*

I know that I am step-mom. But it's not just a title. I am here walking the walk and have been since the day I met I met them. I can't take 10 steps back when I want the very best for them. I say I often because I'm the one (not dad because he wasn't really raised this way but is very supportive and joins in) spending countless hours answering endless questions about why things work, reading books, taking the kids to exhibits, etc. Dad does his part (love, responsibilty, quality time, etc), but I definitely am the one fostering any intellectual component.

Again, I'm typing this because I'm significantly better at finding net resources than my husband, and I feel like he would lose all the important details (including all the good things about mom).

Perhaps I can change my wording. Does anyone have any advice on how dad can approach her and appeal to her love of the boys for HIM to get custody?

Antigone*

I know that I am step-mom. But it's not just a title. I am here walking the walk and have been since the day I met I met them. I can't take 10 steps back when I want the very best for them. I say I often because I'm the one (not dad because he wasn't really raised this way but is very supportive and joins in) spending countless hours answering endless questions about why things work, reading books, taking the kids to exhibits, etc. Dad does his part (love, responsibilty, quality time, etc), but I definitely am the one fostering any intellectual component.

Again, I'm typing this because I'm significantly better at finding net resources than my husband, and I feel like he would lose all the important details (including all the good things about mom).

Perhaps I can change my wording. Does anyone have any advice on how dad can approach her and appeal to her love of the boys for HIM to get custody?
Mother the kids all you want, but you are NOT their mother.

No, you can't change your wording. You need to change your mind set.

You need to stay out of his legal business. Write this line 100 times, teach: I will stay out of my husband's legal business ~ period.

gr8rn

Please read the sticky at the top for newbies. Edit your post because your opinions are very offensive. Tell Dad to sign up on his own and ask the questions. No one cares if he hunts and pecks and it takes him 2 hours. we can wait.

I have to say, this post is very offensive to me. Mom is doing a great job, but not good enough? The kids can be average, but with "you" they could be great?

Your ego is getting in the way of your common sense.

2Mistakes

2M, I'm just amazed at the nerve of this overstepping step mom. How dare she say this mom is "insufficient." What:eek: does she walk on water???
Don't you know she's the "new mommy" and would do such a better job? :rolleyes:

OP, it doesn't matter if you agree with her parenting style. It doesn't matter if dad doesn't agree with her parenting style.

She uses the Wii to babysit the kids? Big whoop. I sometimes let my son get on the xbox while I do stuff around the house. Even if I wasn't doing stuff around the house, I'd let him play. Not for hours on end, but there's nothing wrong with her letting the kids play the Wii.

Back off. These aren't your kids and you have no say-so in how they're raised. You should go sit in a corner and let DAD handle his legal issues.

I have to wonder, does dad even know you're putting his business out on front street? Is dad the one with the problem, or is it YOU?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

So, apparently... Dad is ALSO "insufficient". :rolleyes:

tabithakf

Some synonyms of insufficient are: drained, not enough, lacking. That is what I was going for. She can't give the boys enough because she doesn't have enough to give. She's drained from all that life has put on her and it's putting the boys in a very sad spot. She lacks parenting skills (because of her terrible terrible mother) and has tried to make up for it in ways that don't work. Perhaps I should change the title of the post because I didn't mean it in any other way than what I'm stating now.

I feel like I'm defending myself like crazy and getting terribly worked up which is so silly. I want advice on how to get two boys that are very loved in the best place that they can be. That's all.

It's so weird-if it wouldn't be so much of an overstep into everyone's personal space, I would want mom to live next door. That's how much I want her in the picture. I would never encourage a husband to go swoop in to take kids away totally from a loving mom...are you kidding? Just keep that in mind as you're judging me for wanting to know how to get the boys where they need to be.

gr8rn

tabithakf;2856469 Does anyone have any advice on how dad can approach her and appeal to her love of the boys for HIM to get custody?[/QUOTE said:
NO one is going to advise YOU OR DAD as to how to approach her to hand over custody to an overstepping stepparent and a Dad who, by your own admission doesn't really care about this. I wish I knew who Mom was so I could warn her what you have up your sleeve. BACK OFF!! You are not MOM. By the way, are you infertile perchance?

Last edited:

Antigone*

Some synonyms of insufficient are: drained, not enough, lacking. That is what I was going for. She can't give the boys enough because she doesn't have enough to give. She's drained from all that life has put on her and it's putting the boys in a very sad spot. She lacks parenting skills (because of her terrible terrible mother) and has tried to make up for it in ways that don't work. Perhaps I should change the title of the post because I didn't mean it in any other way than what I'm stating now.

I feel like I'm defending myself like crazy and getting terribly worked up which is so silly. I want advice on how to get two boys that are very loved in the best place that they can be. That's all.

It's so weird-if it wouldn't be so much of an overstep into everyone's personal space, I would want mom to live next door. That's how much I want her in the picture. I would never encourage a husband to go swoop in to take kids away totally from a loving mom...are you kidding? Just keep that in mind as you're judging me for wanting to know how to get the boys where they need to be.
They are in the best place ~ WITH THEIR MOTHER.

You are making yourself look more idiotic by the moment. In fact, so much so, that now I believe you are a complete troll.

<spit> <spit>:mad:

2Mistakes

I know that I am step-mom.
But it's not just a title.
No, it really is. And honestly, it's a title that means nothing.

I can't take 10 steps back when I want the very best for them.
Actually you can. And you need to.

Dad does his part (love, responsibilty, quality time, etc), but I definitely am the one fostering any intellectual component.
Does dad know you think he's an idiot? :rolleyes:

Yadda yadda yadda. I'm sure dad can figure it out. If he leaves something out, I assure, we'll ask questions to get all the RELEVENT info. Most of what you posted isn't relevent.

Does anyone have any advice on how dad can approach her and appeal to her love of the boys for HIM to get custody?
DAD is welcome to talk to her about it. And she is free to tell him to pound sand. YOU stay out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">