• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gettting out of a contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

donjt

I contracted with a small contractor to build me a house.
Before we signed anything we asked if there is any water whether surface or underground veins, streams etc. He said no there is not water problems.(we took his word and never had it put into contract we didn't think of it then)He finally admitted there is veins of water 12-15 ft down. We contracted as long as the town approves to move the house 20 feet forward and turn on a slight angle.(that is in contract). We now find out that the board of health already told the builder where he has to put cesspool. Now we can't move the house forward, it would put the cesspool under the house. He had the health permits before we went to binder much less contract, so he knew from day one that he couldn't move the house. do we have anything to stand on.
Another problem is the picture and floor plan that we gave him, he went from NO PROBLEM. to well it's and artist's rendering. Approximate--to me means maybe off 2-6 inches not 2-4 feet in room sizes. How close by law to the picture/floor plan does he have to be.
Any insite or information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
d. suffolk county, new york

HomeGuru

Did you hire an independent architect to draw the plans or is this a design build where the contractor just does whatever? Did you order a soils investigation/report? Whomade the plans and specs. Is there a building permit? What kind of construction contract did you sign? Who is going to approve the construction phases for progress payments? These are just a few of the questions I have for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">