• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gift Card Bonus Cards defrauded?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BinPop

I'm located in California. I recently purchased a gift card that had a bonus card with it, basically buy $100 and get a $20 bonus card free. On the back of the packet it stated the bonus card has a expiration which I knew about and decided to purchased few.
Turns out you can only use one Bonus Card per order instore or online. I contacted the brand of the store and they confirmed that the Bonus Card is a promo card thus the system allowing only one per order. No where on the back of the card did it state about being able to use one per order. I contacted the business thru BBB and all I was is that they can't help me or offer any money back for the Bonus Cards and to just use one per transaction. But again it never stated about this limitation when I purchased the Gift Cards for the free Bonus Card.

Are they breaking any sort of laws for influencing consumers into buying gift cards that come with 'bonus cards' only to find out its one per transaction.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So - you expected to be able to use more than one bonus card per order?

quincy

I'm located in California. I recently purchased a gift card that had a bonus card with it, basically buy $100 and get a $20 bonus card free. On the back of the packet it stated the bonus card has a expiration which I knew about and decided to purchased few.
Turns out you can only use one Bonus Card per order instore or online. I contacted the brand of the store and they confirmed that the Bonus Card is a promo card thus the system allowing only one per order. No where on the back of the card did it state about being able to use one per order. I contacted the business thru BBB and all I was is that they can't help me or offer any money back for the Bonus Cards and to just use one per transaction. But again it never stated about this limitation when I purchased the Gift Cards for the free Bonus Card.

Are they breaking any sort of laws for influencing consumers into buying gift cards that come with 'bonus cards' only to find out its one per transaction.
Does it say nowhere in the promotional material “one bonus card per purchase?”

BinPop

So - you expected to be able to use more than one bonus card per order?
Does it say nowhere in the promotional material “one bonus card per purchase?”
Yes, the whole purpose of buying them was to use them together. The only thing the packet provided on the back when purchasing is it stating that the Bonus Card has an expiration date.
I've had multiple encounters with Gift Cards Deals having a Bonus Card and it was never a promo code, thus letting me use multiple Bonus Cards in one transaction. I thought this was the same thing with this Deal.

Edit: Only after purchasing was I finally aware that it's only one per transaction when I tried using it online. And the brand store confirming this also.
The reason store brands do this is because they can legally put a expiration date on 'Bonus Cards' since its not a Gift Card thus not being protected by the gift card laws.

Here's a picutre
Two Gift Cards and the Bonus Card (flimsy paper) were inside

Last edited:

quincy

There is no fine print on the bonus card itself or in the promotional material accompanying the purchase of the gift card?

The laws for promotional or award or loyalty cards differ from those of gift cards and gift certificates.

Last edited:

quincy

I read over the terms of use for the bonus cards offered by the retail store and it states “one per customer” and “one time use” and “exclusions apply.” You need to contact the retailer for the exclusions.

It is not specifically stated that you can only use “one card per purchase” but this is implied, and you are probably informed of that condition at checkout or when you call.

BinPop

I read over the terms of use for the bonus cards offered by the retail store and it states “one per customer” and “one time use” and “exclusions apply.” You need to contact the retailer for the exclusions.

It is not specifically stated that you can only use “one card per purchase” but this is implied, and you are probably informed of that condition at checkout or when you call.
The 'One per customer' is for the deal it stated, 'Earn $20 in Bonus Cards when you purchase two $50 gift cards' and the One time use is for the code it self, that's why I'm asking here for help since it never stated it was one promo code per transaction.
The more I read it, the more it sounds like they are reusing the same Bonus Card, makes sense since this was a new gift card deal that recently came out.

When I called customer support, the customer agent expected me to know about the 'promotional/coupon rule' they had, that you can only use one per transaction and thus the card is a promo card, it falls under the same category. Too late for that, they should had wrote that down on the back of the card. That just feels very scummy to do.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am 62 years old and I have yet to see a promotion of this type where you could use more than one bonus or promotional card per purchase.

quincy

The 'One per customer' is for the deal it stated, 'Earn $20 in Bonus Cards when you purchase two $50 gift cards' and the One time use is for the code it self, that's why I'm asking here for help since it never stated it was one promo code per transaction.
The more I read it, the more it sounds like they are reusing the same Bonus Card, makes sense since this was a new gift card deal that recently came out.

When I called customer support, the customer agent expected me to know about the 'promotional/coupon rule' they had, that you can only use one per transaction and thus the card is a promo card, it falls under the same category. Too late for that, they should had wrote that down on the back of the card. That just feels very scummy to do.
It could be viewed as “scummy” but the “some exclusions apply” and “see store for details” should protect the retailer from any consumer confusion that might be generated.

BinPop

I am 62 years old and I have yet to see a promotion of this type where you could use more than one bonus or promotional card per purchase.
Did you mean by being able to use the same promo code multiple times? If so, no. I purchased 12 $100 packs that had $20 Bonus Cards each in them.
But if you meant the other thing about store promotions only letting customers use one Bonus Card, thats a first for me. This past month, I've bought Gift Card deals such as Dominos, Buy $20 and get a $5 Bonus Card, I was able to use multiple bonus cards in a order. Same for adidas gift card deal, buy $50 get $15 Bonus Card.

It could be viewed as “scummy” but the “some exclusions apply” and “see store for details” should protect the retailer from any consumer confusion that might be generated.
Still wouldn't it be scummy since the T&C were inside the packet, I had no way to know about this other than buying it first. And since I opened it, I can't return it to the store.
It even has the T&C for the 'Gift Card' it self on the back, but not for the Bonus Card. This is like when you create a account for a online site, they give you the big list of terms and conditions when signing up and if you accept it, your account gets created. But now let's say what if you create the account and it doesn't show you the T&C? Only after you already made the account it'll show you it, but now you're screw since you would had accepted it when you made the account.

quincy

Did you mean by being able to use the same promo code multiple times? If so, no. I purchased 12 $100 packs that had $20 Bonus Cards each in them.
But if you meant the other thing about store promotions only letting customers use one Bonus Card, thats a first for me. This past month, I've bought Gift Card deals such as Dominos, Buy $20 and get a $5 Bonus Card, I was able to use multiple bonus cards in a order. Same for adidas gift card deal, buy $50 get $15 Bonus Card.

Still wouldn't it be scummy since the T&C were inside the packet, I had no way to know about this other than buying it first. And since I opened it, I can't return it to the store.
It even has the T&C for the 'Gift Card' it self on the back, but not for the Bonus Card. This is like when you create a account for a online site, they give you the big list of terms and conditions when signing up and if you accept it, your account gets created. But now let's say what if you create the account and it doesn't show you the T&C? Only after you already made the account it'll show you it, but now you're screw since you would had accepted it when you made the account.
Like I said earlier, “bonuses” or “rewards” are treated differently than gift cards and gift certificates.

You can complain to the retailer and the State (Consumer Protection Division) but the end result might be the retailer no longer offering bonus cards or rewards to consumers.

Dandy Don

So what is keeping you from using the cards as the instructions permit? Don't you like that store's products enough that you will be shopping with them in the future for at least 11 more times for items that cost at least $100.00? Have you received the bonus cards? Do the bonus cards have an expiration date on them?

quincy

So what is keeping you from using the cards as the instructions permit? Don't you like that store's products enough that you will be shopping with them in the future for at least 11 more times for items that cost at least $100.00? Have you received the bonus cards? Do the bonus cards have an expiration date on them?
You can answer some of your own questions, Don, just by reading the thread and what has already been said. ;)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">