• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

girlfriend picking up child . . . what are my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MikeC.

What is the name of your state? CA I have a current court order with visitation rights from Fri 7pm - Sun 7pm. I was delayed at work and asked my girlfriend to help me with picking up my daughter. I called my ex to inform her, but couldn't reach her . . . ex refuses to take my calls. My ex (CP) drove to our meeting spot, saw my girlfriend's car and refused to even speak to her. Ex stayed in her car, windows roll up for about 15 mins then drove off. Ex never called to asked where I am and has not taken any of my calls regarding this matter. The order is silent on third party pickups. My question is . . . under these circumstances, can she be held in contempt for refusing to turn over our child during my parenting time? And if not, what are the chances of getting a judge to modify the order so my girlfriend can assist in drop off and pick ups?

BelizeBreeze

MikeC. said:
What is the name of your state? CA I have a current court order with visitation rights from Fri 7pm - Sun 7pm. I was delayed at work and asked my girlfriend to help me with picking up my daughter. I called my ex to inform her, but couldn't reach her . . . ex refuses to take my calls. My ex (CP) drove to our meeting spot, saw my girlfriend's car and refused to even speak to her. Ex stayed in her car, windows roll up for about 15 mins then drove off. Ex never called to asked where I am and has not taken any of my calls regarding this matter. The order is silent on third party pickups. My question is . . . under these circumstances, can she be held in contempt for refusing to turn over our child during my parenting time? And if not, what are the chances of getting a judge to modify the order so my girlfriend can assist in drop off and pick ups?
She is not under any obligation to give YOUR child to a stranger. You, however, had every right to go to her home later that night or the next day and pick up your child.

Obviously you do not know that. So, you WILL the next time this happens won't you?

stephenk

"And if not, what are the chances of getting a judge to modify the order so my girlfriend can assist in drop off and pick ups?"

Slim to none. What are you going to do if you break up with your girlfriend and start dating someone else? If you marry her, then you can modify the order regarding who can pick-up your child.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">