• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

given 30 day notice in iowa month to month

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hcovert74

ok was given 3 day to quit or pay rent i paid rent on first day landlord says thanks, received 30 day notice on june 25th which is 5 days before july rent is due, supposed to be out july 31st, do they still have to serve 3 days to leave then court hearing, also i read that in iowa that lalord must give notice at least 30 days before rent is due so i was given this notice 6 days prior to rent being due.

adjusterjack

Sorry, but that's not what the law says.

562.4 Tenant at will — notice to terminate.
A person in the possession of real estate, with the assent of the owner, is presumed to be a tenant at will until the contrary is shown, and thirty days’ notice in writing must be served upon either party or a successor of the party before termination of the tenancy. However, if a rent is reserved payable at intervals of less than thirty days, the length of notice need not be greater than the interval.
https://law.justia.com/codes/iowa/2018/title-xiv/chapter-562/section-562.4/
On June 25 you were given 36 days notice that your tenancy terminates on July 31. That's more than required by law. If you aren't out by July 31, then the LL files for eviction in court.

You still had to pay your rent for the month of July. If you did that another pay or quit notice is not necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">