• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grace Period

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spflanze

What is the name of your state? California

I rent a room in a house. My month to month rental contract allows for a four day rental payment grace period. The contract makes no statement on how often this grace period may be used. Because my income is such that funds for rental payments are generally not available on the first of the month, I have been in grace period often, Now my landlord tells me that because I have used the grace period too often she will no longer allow a grace period, and if and right after the first she will charge a late fee. When I say this is a violation of the rental agreement she says she can amend the rental aggreement at will, and apparently unilaterally so. Is she correct? I fail to see the point of a written rental contract if it can be changed on the whim of one party like that.

PayrollHRGuy

What does the lease agreement say about changes? For that matter what "exactly" does it say about late fees and the grace period.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? California

I rent a room in a house. My month to month rental contract allows for a four day rental payment grace period. The contract makes no statement on how often this grace period may be used. Because my income is such that funds for rental payments are generally not available on the first of the month, I have been in grace period often, Now my landlord tells me that because I have used the grace period too often she will no longer allow a grace period, and if and right after the first she will charge a late fee. When I say this is a violation of the rental agreement she says she can amend the rental aggreement at will, and apparently unilaterally so. Is she correct? I fail to see the point of a written rental contract if it can be changed on the whim of one party like that.
If its a month to month agreement, then with the amount of notice required in the agreement, she can change it. However, if its a month to month agreement then you can also give notice to move out if you do not like her changes.

adjusterjack

xylene

I realize how hard it is living paycheck to paycheck, but you nonetheless desperately need to sort out your financial circumstance so that you have a reserve of at least one months basic expenses so that you can meet your termed obligations on time.

That is the real and only solution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">