• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pjn9656

I am from New York. I had a daughter with a woman whom i did not marry. Myself and my daugters mother both married to other people. My daughter passed away leaving two children. One of the children the father is known and pays child support. The other child the father is not known. Both sets of grandparents filed for joint custody of the child with the unknown father. The court granted joint custody for both sets of grandparents. I take both children each weekend and pay 80.00 a week because I wanted to help the other grandparents. The other grandparents feel this is not enough and want to go to court for child support. Am i responsible for child support.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am from New York. I had a daughter with a woman whom i did not marry. Myself and my daugters mother both married to other people. My daughter passed away leaving two children. One of the children the father is known and pays child support. The other child the father is not known. Both sets of grandparents filed for joint custody of the child with the unknown father. The court granted joint custody for both sets of grandparents. I take both children each weekend and pay 80.00 a week because I wanted to help the other grandparents. The other grandparents feel this is not enough and want to go to court for child support. Am i responsible for child support.
Frankly, you should consult with an attorney about this matter. It is a fairly uncommon situation and beyond the scope of this forum.

Kudos to you both on stepping up for the child.

Just Blue

I'm very sorry for the loss of your daughter....

Is the child receiving SS death benefits?

LdiJ

Is anyone collecting Social Security benefits for the child? If so, how much is the child getting and who is the rep payee?
Also, if the child's father is unknown, how can the child have two sets of grandparents? The unknown father's parents would also be unknown.

pjn9656

Is anyone collecting Social Security benefits for the child? If so, how much is the child getting and who is the rep payee?
Also, if the child's father is unknown, how can the child have two sets of grandparents? The unknown father's parents would also be unknown.
No SS as far as I know. I was not married to my daughters mother. We both then married seperate people. I am the grandparent, my wife the step grandparent and her mother is the grandparent and her husband the step grandparent.

pjn9656

Given this was a voluntary action once my daughter passed, can we petition the court to remove us as joint custody and possibly just have visitation and provide for the kids the way we see fit?

LdiJ

Given this was a voluntary action once my daughter passed, can we petition the court to remove us as joint custody and possibly just have visitation and provide for the kids the way we see fit?
Again, because this is an uncommon situation you really do need to at least consult a local attorney. It really is not the norm for grandparents to pay child support for their grandchildren and therefore the only reason why its not a black and white answer is due to the joint custody. A local attorney will be able to tell you if its a possibility at all.

justalayman

IMO as you and the other GP's both have custody and are taking a parental role with this child I think it likely CS could be ordered. You absolutely do want to consult with an attorney.

Here's the NY child support calculator so you can "run the numbers".
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/hra/help/child-support-calculator.page
The reason parents are ordered to pay support is they created or were legal parents to the child. I cannot see either party paying support to anybody unless they adopted the child and became a legal parent and no longer had custody of the child. Custody in the situstion at hand is based on guardianship rather than parentage.

But I absolutely agree the op needs to consult with an attorney

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Child support is only owed by the parents. Unless you adopted the child, you would not be court ordered to pay child support. And the child needs custodians.

Litigator22

Ohiogal has supplied the correct answer to your question. Which is elementary family law and certainly not beyond the scope of this forum.

But perhaps you could clarify this business of the court "awarding to both sets of grandparents joint custody of the child of the deceased daughter whose father is unknown."

It would appear that if the father of this child is not known, then the only known grandparents would be the deceased daughter's parents. Which would be you - the biological father - and her birth mother (if living) - making one set.

So, who are you contesting? Who comprises the other "set" of "grandparents"? Who are the persons you are "helping" with the $80.00 per week and are making the ridiculous, unsupportable and hollow threats to stick you with court ordered "grandchild" support?!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">