• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handitrap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

In the several years I worked as a service contractor I learned one immutable truth. You're better off parking in something that doesn't even resemble a parking space than to park illegally in a reserved space. I'd park on sidewalks, driveways, loading docks, etc... and never once got a ticket. Overstay a meter or park in a permit required space and you get tickets. A handicapped space is sacrosanct both by law (as pointed out in effect 24/7 regardless of weasel excuse) and by public opinion. It's the last place I'd ever consider parking, right behind ones reserved for police vehicles (the latter won't have anywhere near as severe penalties, but it attracts the attention of the enforcers).

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
In the several years I worked as a service contractor I learned one immutable truth. You're better off parking in something that doesn't even resemble a parking space than to park illegally in a reserved space.
I tend to agree.

Back a few years when I used to work primarily in NYC my partner would prefer to get coffee at a particular 711. Inevitably, when we pulled into the lot there would be a car parked in one of the two handicapped spaces with no placard/permit.

I'd rather see someone park out of a stall or blocking another car in - those would usually either be ignored or get a verbal warning when they came out. The handicapped violators would get a ticket - in NYC that's a $185 hit. Makes for a very expensive cup of coffee and hopefully a lesson learned.

tranquility

The purpose of a handicap parking space is to allow those with disabilities equal access to public accommodation. (Including some special needs like extra space for a lift.) It was not designed to provide special benefits.

There was no event. There was an empty parking lot so special space for a lift and the inability to walk a distance was not implicated. There is no reasonable argument anyone's access could have been hindered.

That some are arguing a rigid interpretation of the rules is not unusual. The speak to the letter rather than the spirit of the law. But, once we go there, there is no morality but what the legislature tells us is moral. I choose not. Especially when we see how "moral" they are.

As to the reporting of the officer, giving citations for going 41 in a 40 zone is a legal citation. If an motor officer were to give a lot of those, his supervisor would surely like to know as maybe traffic safety is not his best use. Same here.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As to the reporting of the officer, giving citations for going 41 in a 40 zone is a legal citation. If an motor officer were to give a lot of those, his supervisor would surely like to know as maybe traffic safety is not his best use. Same here.
I suspect that citations for improper use of a handicap space are not frowned upon by the department.

FlyingRon

Ages ago I was in the fire department and at the grand opening of a new shopping mall on a hot summers day, it was decided that an ambulance should standby at the hoopla. Now legitimately we could have parked that thing it the fire lane but the driver decided that one of the handicapped spaces would make more sense. Yep, he got a ticket. That one however got thrown out. Not so much as to the issue of the handicapped space but the judge told the cop he didn't ever want to see another case where he put a ticket on an ambulance.

There was the time we pulled up at the auto parts store, parked in the fire lane. Got out, removed the starter, took it inside, swapped the core for t a new one and went out and reinstalled it. We only even had to call in out of service for the time we had the starter off.

tranquility

I suspect that citations for improper use of a handicap space are not frowned upon by the department.
Many departments have letter versus spirit in their motto. Police departments who get all nit-picky about things often lose the respect of the citizenry. Think community oriented policing rather than broken windows approach. Also, consider the foolish consistency of zero-tolerance rules in schools and how ridiculous they are when implemented. Not only will many police departments frown on rubbish, but also few supervisors will be impressed with citations that don't aid the health or safety of the citizens.

Zigner

Many departments have letter versus spirit in their motto. Police departments who get all nit-picky about things often lose the respect of the citizenry. Think community oriented policing rather than broken windows approach. Also, consider the foolish consistency of zero-tolerance rules in schools and how ridiculous they are when implemented. Not only will many police departments frown on rubbish, but also few supervisors will be impressed with citations that don't aid the health or safety of the citizens.
Most folks I know (until I saw your posts, I would have said "all") tend to feel very strongly that people should not park in handicap spots if they are not supposed to.

tranquility

Most folks I know (until I saw your posts, I would have said "all") tend to feel very strongly that people should not park in handicap spots if they are not supposed to.
Most folks I know are reasonable. They see a closed building that no one is going to enter as a public accommodation and a completely empty parking lot except for one handicap spot near a door where people are moving things in and out of and wouldn't worry about it even a little tiny bit.

But then, some think a couple of six-year olds pointing fingers is a reasonable reason for a school suspension. Go figure.
http://www.wbal.com/article/96927/2/template-story/Two-Boys-Suspended-For-Playing-Cops-And-Robbers-In-Recess

Zigner

Most folks I know are reasonable. They see a closed building that no one is going to enter as a public accommodation and a completely empty parking lot except for one handicap spot near a door where people are moving things in and out of and wouldn't worry about it even a little tiny bit.
Most folks I know are reasonable and would simply park in the spot NEXT to the handicap spot :rolleyes:

But then, some think a couple of six-year olds pointing fingers is a reasonable reason for a school suspension. Go figure.
http://www.wbal.com/article/96927/2/template-story/Two-Boys-Suspended-For-Playing-Cops-And-Robbers-In-Recess
Yeah, definitely the same thing :rolleyes:

tranquility

Most folks I know are reasonable and would simply park in the spot NEXT to the handicap spot :rolleyes:
Why carry things repeatedly a further distance while having to step off the curb for no reason. I don't think you know what "reasonable" means.
Yeah, definitely the same thing :rolleyes:
It is a strict following of a rule that does not accomplish the purpose of the rule.

Perhaps you can make an actual argument over a http://i.imgur.com/o92sl.gif

quincy

A matter of convenience combined with breaking the law versus a physical need combined with a legal right.

Hmmmm.

I am thinking that it is not Zigner who needs a lesson on what is reasonable, tranq. ;)

LdiJ

A matter of convenience combined with breaking the law versus a physical need combined with a legal right.

Hmmmm.

I am thinking that it is not Zigner who needs a lesson on what is reasonable, tranq. ;)
I agree with Tranq. Empty parking lot of a closed building on a Holiday. There wasn't anyone there with a physical need...and I can almost guarantee that there was more than one handicapped parking spot.

quincy

That's nice, LdiJ.

But you should not get upset if you get ticketed for parking in a handicapped space, because the signs do not say "Handicapped Parking except for Holidays or when there are a lot of handicapped spaces available or when the parking lot is empty or when it is more convenient for you to park closer," and the law does not say that either.

Proserpina

I agree with Tranq. Empty parking lot of a closed building on a Holiday. There wasn't anyone there with a physical need...and I can almost guarantee that there was more than one handicapped parking spot.

Quiet highway during a quiet time of day/night. Might be the only vehicle on the road.

Speeding would be okay?

I know this isn't exactly the same - but since when did we start obeying ONLY the laws that suit us at the time? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">