• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handling negative review on Google Maps

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I am not a client of this lawyer. He WAS a client of mine. I told him to take his business elsewhere. He responded by trashing me on Google. Clear?
Yes, clear. Nevertheless, the other two points I made are still valid — you run the risk of a defamation lawsuit if you are wrong about who posted the review and it's a very bad look for your business to make the kind of reply to the bad review that you want to make. Do you value your customers? If you do, then don't trash them even when you have a disagreement with them. Other customers will see that and get turned off. I certainly wouldn't hire you after seeing such a reply. You may be a bit salty about the push back you are getting here about your ideas because you are mad about the review, but don't let that anger lead you to do something that will hurt your business even more. The phrase "cutting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind.

quincy

Anthony Brown, I think most of us here recommend (or would recommend) that you rethink any lawsuit-approach to the negative review. Not only is a lawsuit costly from the pursuit of the legal action itself (and Google is known to fight subpoenas), for a business it is costly from a customer-relations perspective.

If what was posted about your business in the review is not clearly defamatory (and nothing you have posted so far suggests that it is), your business reputation risks greater harm with a lawsuit against the reviewer than the negative reviewer has caused against your business.

I suggest you encourage your happily satisfied customers to show their appreciation by leaving a positive review - and then try to resolve the issues you have had with your disgruntled customer personally and out of the public eye.

Yes, clear. Nevertheless, the other two points I made are still valid — you run the risk of a defamation lawsuit if you are wrong about who posted the review and it's a very bad look for your business to make the kind of reply to the bad review that you want to make. Do you value your customers? If you do, then don't trash them even when you have a disagreement with them. Other customers will see that and get turned off. I certainly wouldn't hire you after seeing such a reply. You may be a bit salty about the push back you are getting here about your ideas because you are mad about the review, but don't let that anger lead you to do something that will hurt your business even more. The phrase "cutting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind.
Okay, you are reading me well now. I AM getting agitated. The fact is this happened over a year ago when I was swamped with business and the negative effect this man's post had on my business was actually welcome. But now, in a pandemic situation, the negative effect of this defamatory post is no longer welcome.

quincy

It can be legally dangerous to act in anger - so you did the smart thing by coming here before publishing the emails or filing a lawsuit. Good luck.

It can be legally dangerous to act in anger - so you did the smart thing by coming here before publishing the emails or filing a lawsuit. Good luck.
Yes, and it seems to me that is precisely what the lawyer did, he posted in anger. And he lied, and he embellished and it seems to me that is unacceptable.

quincy

Yes, and it seems to me that is precisely what the lawyer did, he posted in anger. And he lied, and he embellished and it seems to me that is unacceptable.
Sure it is unacceptable. Is it worth your time and money to pursue a legal action you are likely to lose, though?

Obviously only you can make that decision but I think you should at least sit down with an attorney in your area for a personal review of all facts and further discussion of the pros and cons of each of your available options.

adjusterjack

I want to see if you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Quote his review here word for word in its entirety without any identifying information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">