• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassing calls from detective

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kingjsp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I was recently let go from my job and it was robbed 3 days later. I had absolutely nothing to do with it, however I know who did. A detective has called me 3 times and i have not answered, instead i have had my attorney call him. Detective won't speak with him and now has left me a msg saying he will now put a "fail stop" on the case and i better not run. I had spoken to the guilty party with text messages before this happened. my question is what do police need to retrieve text message records, and also what does fail stop on the case mean? will i have detectives coming to my house with a warrant?? This happened over a month ago and my atty says if they had any evidence they would have served an arrest warrent by now.

cyjeff

Why would you impede the investigation of the police officers trying to solve your case?

If you didn't want police involvement, why did you call them?

kingjsp

i didnt call them, they keep calling me. Apparantly i'm the only suspect because I was let go right before it happened.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I was recently let go from my job and it was robbed 3 days later. I had absolutely nothing to do with it, however I know who did. A detective has called me 3 times and i have not answered, instead i have had my attorney call him. Detective won't speak with him and now has left me a msg saying he will now put a "fail stop" on the case and i better not run. I had spoken to the guilty party with text messages before this happened. my question is what do police need to retrieve text message records, and also what does fail stop on the case mean? will i have detectives coming to my house with a warrant?? This happened over a month ago and my atty says if they had any evidence they would have served an arrest warrent by now.
Why don't you tell the police the name of said guilty party?

kingjsp

i would rather stay completely out of it. the only way to connect me with this person is the text messages, which is why I would like to know the procedures on police getting or probable cause for them to get text records.

seniorjudge

i would rather stay completely out of it. the only way to connect me with this person is the text messages, which is why I would like to know the procedures on police getting or probable cause for them to get text records.
The cops could ask for a search warrant.

outonbail

Why don't you tell the police the name of said guilty party?
Once the police confiscate his computer and pull up the text messages as well as what he has posted here, I imagine he will tell them. Sitting in a cold jail cell by yourself and naked, tends to encourage cooperation. ;)

cyjeff

Okay, let's stop goofing around here.

Why wouldn't you turn in the guilty party and clear your name?

kingjsp

I guess im afraid I'll be charged with acessory, and I was pretty good friends with this person. I think police are just fishing for info and have no evidence on me for anything.

outonbail

The thing is, this friend/acquaintance is not very bright. I say this because he not only committed a crime, but he told people about having done so. You happen to be one of them.

Hence this stupid friend is going to end up going down for his crime. So you have to decide if you want to "stay completely out of it" and risk getting pulled into this situation, because you obviously have some sort of connection to this guy and his crime.

Whether you will end up being convicted of anything is anyone's guess. But just becoming entangled in the mess will end up costing you time, freedom and money. It won't help your credibility with local law enforcement any either.

I would think that the police have more of a reason to believe you were involved in this crime, than just your being fired.

Have you spoken about this incident with other friends, possibly other employees who are still working there?

cyjeff

I guess im afraid I'll be charged with acessory, and I was pretty good friends with this person. I think police are just fishing for info and have no evidence on me for anything.
And you think obviously avoiding them is going to make them say, "Well, a guy that works that hard to make sure we don't talk to him MUST be innocent!"?

outonbail

This attorney that you saw, did he tell you not to speak to the police or anyone else about this incident?

Because at this point, I don't know who has less of a gap between their ears, you, or your criminal friend.

While the police may not have had enough evidence to arrest you or obtain a search warrant for your arrest when you spoke to this attorney, I would say that at this point, you have given them more than enough.

You need to do what your attorney instructed you to do.

I'm fairly confident that this attorney did not instruct you to post the details of your pending criminal arrest over a message board on the Internet.

We can give you advice, but we can't make decisions for you and we don't know what any police department has in the way of evidence or what they intend to do with whatever they do have.

Shut up, don't break any laws and follow your attorney's instructions. That is all you need to know and do!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">