• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hard hearted landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tchanjc

My husband and I entered into an agreement, a "residential lease with option to buy." Instead of paying the usual $475, we began paying $550 monthly. We did this for 6 months. We would continue paying $550 until a 2 year period expired. The two years we paid extra would be our downpayment on the home and then we would close on the house. Unfortunately, my mother became ill and I was forced to move back home to help her out. My husband informed the landlord and even paid $65 to run an ad in the local paper at the landlords request. We did sign a contract. On the other hand, as I said, the landlord was informed and my husband paid for the ad. Now he is calling us and threatening to sue us! He wants us to pay for each month that the house is vacant. Also, the wiring in the house was found to be faulty. He was not concerned about that, but turned on us. Now we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Do we have any rights regarding the fact that we had to move because my mother needed my help? What could I do? Say no, tough luck mom? I don't think so. What are our rights in this case?

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

Generally, you're liable for the remainder of the lease but the LL has a duty to "mitigate" your damages (make reasonable and diligent efforts to re-rent the premises).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">