• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harley Davison Battle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bobbybzer

What is the name of your state?
New Hampshire
Cluth replaced on bike and burned out within 100 miles with 2 services in between mileage.

Recently I had a 2007 Buell clutch restore at 6,500 Miles. I’ve had the bike all my life and put all miles on it. After it being restore at Harley I put 50 miles on it, the same issue as when I originally brought it in for happened again. They said the clutch cable came loose. So at 50 miles later it was serviced again. Then another 50 miles goes by and the exact Same issue happens so I have it brought back and they said I need to spend another 1000$ because the clutch Burnt Out again. I called several other dealers and they said if I clutch burned out within 100 miles they used old Parts or installed it wrong. They won’t help And im out 1000$ because I literally rode the bike 3 times.
this is the Harley Davison outlet in NH

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state?
New Hampshire
Cluth replaced on bike and burned out within 100 miles with 2 services in between mileage.

Recently I had a 2007 Buell clutch restore at 6,500 Miles. I’ve had the bike all my life and put all miles on it. After it being restore at Harley I put 50 miles on it, the same issue as when I originally brought it in for happened again. They said the clutch cable came loose. So at 50 miles later it was serviced again. Then another 50 miles goes by and the exact Same issue happens so I have it brought back and they said I need to spend another 1000$ because the clutch Burnt Out again. I called several other dealers and they said if I clutch burned out within 100 miles they used old Parts or installed it wrong. They won’t help And im out 1000$ because I literally rode the bike 3 times.
this is the Harley Davison outlet in NH
Thanks for sharing.
What warranty was given on the work that was done?

PayrollHRGuy

When you say "they won't help" do you mean the dealer that did the work or the other three dealers?

Also, what was the time frame were the three rides after the initial repair?

Bobbybzer

I don’t think we had a warranty but they still sold me defective parts if after 50 miles I still had issues on a 1000$ job

Bobbybzer

When you say "they won't help" do you mean the dealer that did the work or the other three dealers?

Also, what was the time frame were the three rides after the initial repair?
I called customer service and they said it’s up to the dealership, all within a months time span. And I called other dealerships for mechanical advice to see if it was possible and they confirmed it’s not and sounds sketchy.

PayrollHRGuy

I don’t think we had a warranty but they still sold me defective parts if after 50 miles I still had issues on a 1000$ job
HD provides the following warranty on parts & accs.

ABOUT OUR ONE-YEAR OVER-THE-COUNTER PARTS AND ACCESSORIES WARRANTY

To obtain warranty service, return the affected component(s) with proof of purchase, at your expense, within the limited war- ranty period to an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer.

Harley-Davidson warrants that street legal Genuine Motor Parts (“Parts”) and street legal Genuine Motor Accessories (“Accessories”) that are purchased on or after January 1, 2012, through the Harley-Davidson® Online Store or an authorized dealer will be free from factory defects, under normal use and service, for a period of one year starting from the date of retail sale and delivery (not date of installation). Because this limited warranty covers only Parts and Accessories, labor is not covered. This limited parts warranty does not cover defects or damage due to abuse, misuse or improper installation. This parts warranty applies to Parts and Accessories you or an aftermarket shop have installed, but only for defects in manufacturing—not conditions caused by the improper installation.

This Parts and Accessories warranty is separate and distinct from the limited factory warranty that applies to your stock motorcycle. This Parts and Accessories warranty does not extend or modify the factory warranty that applies to your motorcycle. It only covers the street legal Genuine Motor Parts and street legal Genuine Motor Accessories added to your motorcycle.

This Parts and Accessories warranty does not cover defects, damage or premature wear to your motorcycle that are caused by the installation or use of Parts and Accessories, even those installed by an authorized dealership. Examples include, but are not limited to performance-enhancing powertrain components or software, exhaust systems, non-approved tires, lowering kits, handlebars, add-ons connected to the factory electrical system, etc.

The fact that Parts or Accessories are labeled or branded Harley-Davidson, or are sold or installed by an authorized dealership, does not necessarily make them appropriate or warranted for the make and model of your motorcycle. The use of Parts and Accessories not designed and tested for your motorcycle may have negative consequences on the performance of your motorcycle and may create conditions not covered by the limited factory warranty.

The remedy for breach of this limited Parts and Accessories warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of any compo- nent that proves to be defective, and does not extend or create liability for consequential damages, costs or expenses, including loss of time, inconvenience, or loss of use of the motorcycle. Any implied warranty, including warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, is expressly limited to the duration of this limited one-year Parts and Accessories warranty, or to the shortest dura- tion permitted by the laws in your state.

Excluded Components:

All Genuine Motor Parts & Accessories will qualify for the one-year over-the-counter warranty, with the following exceptions:

• Tires

• Chemicals

• Premium Luggage (two years)

• Audio and Navigation (see Radio/Electronic Warranty Matrix on h-dnet.com)

• Non-street legal components (including Screamin’ Eagle Pro)

• Anything with a manufacturer/factory warranty

• Other disposable and consumable items

Zigner

Interesting - most places (even the one-man-shop down the street) offer some sort of warranty on items they install. Anywhere from 30 days to 90 days minimum.

justalayman

Op needs to take the bike to a different authorized HD repair shop and have it repaired. If it is determined there was an installation error it needs to be documented. Op would have a claim against the original dealer for whatever he has to pay second dealer up to the cost of the original repair. If there is a premature parts failure that is covered under HD warranty, that should be accounted for at the cost of the repair at the second shop.

Interesting - most places (even the one-man-shop down the street) offer some sort of warranty on items they install. Anywhere from 30 days to 90 days minimum.
Only true if the shop supplied the parts. If a customer brings in his own parts, even if they can get a mechanic to touch it, no warranty if the part fails.
Used to have customers come in after being told by Autozone that the reason their check engine light was on because they had a bad oxygen sensor, and then sold them the sensor. Of course after fitting it and turning the check engine light off they would be back later the same day because the light was back on and they wanted to know why I hadn't fixed their car.

Zigner

Only true if the shop supplied the parts. If a customer brings in his own parts, even if they can get a mechanic to touch it, no warranty if the part fails.
This OP had the work done at a HD dealer, so that doesn't apply in this case.
(I'm not disagreeing with you)

Bobbybzer

So the only Harley Dealer ship in all of New Hampshire and Massachusetts That works on buells is there so I don’t know where to bring it and they said since it was a wear item it’s not covered.

PayrollHRGuy

I've had the problem with HD customer service before. When the first person tells you that ask for a supervisor repeat as many times as needed. Mention the warranty I posted above.

Bobbybzer

I've had the problem with HD customer service before. When the first person tells you that ask for a supervisor repeat as many times as needed. Mention the warranty I posted above.
He’s in later today so I will post update but they’re saying it’s a wearable part so Harley won’t let them replace it for free

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">