• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Has anybody ever done this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

T

texasmomlost

CAPrincess said:
Go to "user cp" at the top of the page. Click on it. Go to "Edit Profile". Under Optional Information, it'll say Custom User Text. Enter the title you want and hit "Submit Modifications".
It isn't there.:(

T

traceface

Has the fact that the support is to go towards their (the children) food, and shelter ever crossed your mind. That is why he is paying 650. Not just to clothe them and for extra activities. When he has the children I would make sure that the new items purchased each month for them be sent. The setting up accounts is a good idea, but I not be taking the cash out as needed. You should set aside enough money for what you will need for the month and then deposit the rest into the accounts

haiku

traceface said:
Has the fact that the support is to go towards their (the children) food, and shelter ever crossed your mind. That is why he is paying 650. Not just to clothe them and for extra activities. When he has the children I would make sure that the new items purchased each month for them be sent. The setting up accounts is a good idea, but I not be taking the cash out as needed. You should set aside enough money for what you will need for the month and then deposit the rest into the accounts
Umm Texas is the CP, she can do whatever she wants with her support, including bank the lot of it, if her kids needs are all met to her liking. she need not 'send" anything.

haiku

Texasmom, user CP is at the very tip top of this page. click on it and then choose one of the edit options to give yourself a cool new signature.

(you have to have 1000 posts to be a senior member-it will change automatically)

oh yep I am a girl! ;)

T

texasmomlost

traceface said:
Hello?!??!?!?!?! I have enough money WITHOUT the support to pay for food and shelter and because I have a few other mouths to feed besides my and my ex's children I do not use his money to buy the food or pay for the shelter.

Jeezus I have NEVER heard someone complain that I did not use ALL of the child support for the month!LOL

Btw, I do not buy them new clothes every month.

he gets them three days(well nights becase of school) a week and and every other weekend.

They take their own clothes with them but I am not about to send all new stuff there.

This is dad's house which means wrestling, eating too much, playing in the grass etc.!LOL All the fund stuff mom "won't let them do".:)

T

texasmomlost

haiku said:
Texasmom, user CP is at the very tip top of this page. click on it and then choose one of the edit options to give yourself a cool new signature.

(you have to have 1000 posts to be a senior member-it will change automatically)

oh yep I am a girl! ;)
I found the signature part but the other thing I can't find. Oh that is okay.

ellencee

{QUOTE}
traceface said:
Umm Texas is the CP, she can do whatever she wants with her support, including bank the lot of it, if her kids needs are all met to her liking. she need not 'send" anything.(QUOTE} haiku

haiku,
Are you sure? I'm not implying that I know the answer; I'm asking because I seem to recall a response by one or more attorneys who said that the child support is to be used on the children and not placed in a trust account. I don't recall if there was any percentage that could go into savings, either. I think I remember reading, also, that the support is to be used to raise the child's standard of living to the level it would be if the biological parents were still together and providing a home reflective of their combined incomes.

I know this is a bit rambling ,so please bear with me. I think I recall that the mother (or whoever is CP) should place her own extra money into an account for herself, including for later use for college, but that the support should be used each month on the child.

If you have references, I'd like to read them for my own personal gain in knowledge.

Thanks,
EC

haiku

well no, I have no references to what I posted, I posted under the assumption i have always gotten here and elsewhere, that once child support is given to the CP they can do what they want with it.

if a CP and NCP are doing what they are supposed to, say for example, NCP pays 500 a month in support, and the CP makes double or more(we hope lol) that amount and decides to bank 500 a month in some form of investment, how can the NCP possibly prove it was "thier" money in the bank?

that argument is one I have never "gotten" here or elsewhere, when a parent says "she spends all the support on manicures" how do they really know that?

If a CP spends 50 bucks of 'thier" money on shoes for the kids, and then when the support check arrives spends 50 bucks on shoes for herself, why are we supposed to care where the money came from?

As far as keeping the kids at a level they were at when the parents were together, my husband says in our case that would only work if the ex continued to max out credit cards for stuff, and cash advances....just thought I would throw that in as I think of that comment everytime someone says kids deserve to stay at the finacial level they were at at the time of marriage. I just don't think it is really possible, though they think the guidelines can realistically do it.

Personally I would love it if my husbands ex found a rich guy dumb enough to support her spending habits so she could bank my husbands support for the kids, at least they might actually get something worthwhile and lasting later in life from it...oh well blah blah blah I ramble...

I too, wonder about the LEGAL aspects of trust funds for child support!

B

Boxcarbill

Purely for the record, a Texas order provides under the paragraph entitled "exclusive rights of the sole managing conservator" (cp) that among the enumerated exclusive rights is : " the power to receive and give receipt for periodic payments for the support of the child and to hold or disburse these funds for the benefit of the child." Incidentally, this is one of two exclusive rights which must be assigned to one of the parents when the parents are named "joint managing conservators."

Whoever said that Texas family law courts do not require an accounting for child support is correct as indicated by the Texas legislature in the above quoted paragraph. The court is not in the business of running an accounting office for the purpose of periodic auditing of child support books. In those legal cases which require auditing, the court will order an accounting firm to do that and order which party is to pay for the audit and for the accounting office to submit the results to the court.

As to submitting this "record" to your attorney, I have said this before and I will say this again. Because a person hires an attorney to represent them in a divorce or some other action, does not mean that the person has ongoing counsel. If the attorney was hired for a divorce, representation ends with the entry of the divorce decree. If they were hired on a modification, the representation ends with entry of the order. Etc.. If you want to file a contempt six months or six years later, you can hire the same attorney, provided that the attorney agrees to representation, or hire another attorney. You do not send letters, tape recording, financial statements are anything else (other than payment for services rendered) to the attorney who has represented you or the attorney who represented the other side. The ONLY way that an attorney is "your attorney" is if (1) you have a current case pending which the lawyer was hired to represent you in or (2) you have paid an annual retainer fee to keep the attorney on retainer (Corporations and other businesses do this.)

Now I rather suspect that this thread was started purely to get a chat thread started on the age old argument of accounting for child support and just how much does it take to raise a child and the answer is what Ellencee said: It depends. Is the child the child of a board certified cardiologist who is used to playing tennis sets at the country club or is this the child of a licensed electrician who is used to playing basketball in the neighborhood driveways or down at the local YMCA or is this the child of a part-time hooker and repeat offender who is used to picking through the weevils in the cereal and eating the cereal dry or if lucky having some powdered milk? .

Now if you feel guilty about the amount of the money, you can always give it back to the obligor. If you want it to be legally binding, file a Motion to Modify. Then ask your ex if he would be agreeable to an agreed order to reduce the child support to whatever amount that you feel would rid you of your guilt or will it be necessary to go to trial on the issue of reduction. My guess is that he will agree. If you want to give him an accounting, then go for it but neither the court nor your former counsel is interested in receiving documents that were not solicited.

Last edited:
T

texasmomlost

Well excuse me BoxcarBill! I did NOT start this just to get a debate going. I have seen "chats" on here about providing an accounting and that is what prompted my question as to where to file the accounting.

As far as the attorney situation, my attorney collects the support payments and sends them onto me. I called our attorney and if I do the accounting of spending payments our attorney will take the statements for our file. See we believe we can get through raising children without involving the courts too much, we do not need CSE or a judge to tell us what is right and wrong. The attorney we have is great and acts as a wonderful "mediator" so to speak. It may cost a bit more to do it this way but it is alot less stress.

I am voluntarily lowering child support payments, we are agreeing to it without a hearing.
I never thought that me saving up some of that money was a crime but it seems some people on here can't stand that!

Kristyna

I think it's FANTASTIC that you can bank some of the support for your kids. I also think it's great to you have a good relationship with the NCP and that you will lower the support on your own.

Don't see too much of that around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">