• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Has the statute of limitations expired on my debt? Need someone with legal expertise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shiningsea

Any suggestions as far as a good websites or platforms to resolve my legal questions online? I have a good amount of debt from about 10 years ago. Not sure if the statute of limitations have expired. As well as other technical questions regarding this debt. I don't need a full on attorney right now. But more on a free lance basis concerning this issue. Someone with expertise on the SOL laws for the state of Ohio and California. Someone who can periodically answer my questions online and confidentially.

Just Blue

Any suggestions as far as a good websites or platforms to resolve my legal questions online? I have a good amount of debt from about 10 years ago. Not sure if the statute of limitations have expired. As well as other technical questions regarding this debt. I don't need a full on attorney right now. But more on a free lance basis concerning this issue. Someone with expertise on the SOL laws for the state of Ohio and California. Someone who can periodically answer my questions online and confidentially.
This isn't a referral site.

LdiJ

Honestly, you really are not going to find someone online who can do that for you. Forums like these can answer general questions and sometimes more specific ones but cannot promise you confidentiality.

You need to be dealing with an attorney out there in the real world.

However I will give you a few nuggets of advice. There is a different between someone who sued you before the statute of limitations expired and got a judgment, and someone who sued you after the statute of limitations expired and you mounted a defense based on the SOL.

So, you cannot ignore a lawsuit against you. If you do, you pretty much are in trouble.

quincy

I can tell you that the statute of limitations on debts for California is from 2 to 4 years, depending on the type of debt. For Ohio, the statute of limitations is 6 to 8 years, again depending on the type of debt.

The statute of limitations period generally starts from the date of last payment on the debt.

You might find some free or low cost legal assistance with your debt issues at a legal aid clinic in your area.

shiningsea

Honestly, you really are not going to find someone online who can do that for you. Forums like these can answer general questions and sometimes more specific ones but cannot promise you confidentiality.

You need to be dealing with an attorney out there in the real world.

However I will give you a few nuggets of advice. There is a different between someone who sued you before the statute of limitations expired and got a judgment, and someone who sued you after the statute of limitations expired and you mounted a defense based on the SOL.

So, you cannot ignore a lawsuit against you. If you do, you pretty much are in trouble.
Yes I agree and that's why I started here. I should have been more clear as to wanting legal expertise that was confidential.

adjusterjack

Also understand that if you had debts in one state and left that state, the SOL may have stopped running.

This is actually a good site to address specific questions if you want to provide more details.

Give us a list of your debts, the type of debt, the amount owed, the state in which they were incurred, the date of your last payment and the state where you live now.

We should be able to tell you what the risks are.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Give us a list of your debts, the type of debt, the amount owed, the state in which they were incurred, the date of your last payment and the state where you live now.

But we will be unable to tell the OP whether or not the SOL is expired for those specific debts as that gets into unauthorized practice of law for anyone not licensed in the applicable jurisdiction. General information is good, but giving specific answers on specific debts is a problem.

quincy

"shiningsea also wants confidentiality, which he cannot get on a public forum.

There definitely should be no publication here of specific debts as no one here can get into specifics.

For legal expertise that remains confidential, shiningsea will want to speak to an attorney in his state.

shiningsea

Also understand that if you had debts in one state and left that state, the SOL may have stopped running.

This is actually a good site to address specific questions if you want to provide more details.

Thanks for your help. Here's the main debt I'm not sure of. I have a 24k loan from a federal credit union in Ohio where I was a resident. My last payment was October 2009. I moved out of state in 2012. Did the statute of limitations stop running? Can they still sue me and get a judgement?

quincy

Thanks for your help. Here's the main debt I'm not sure of. I have a 24k loan from a federal credit union in Ohio where I was a resident. My last payment was October 2009. I moved out of state in 2012. Did the statute of limitations stop running? Can they still sue me and get a judgement?
Yes to your last question. The statute of limitations can be used as a defense if you are sued.

You should not acknowledge that you owe the debt. You should not pay on the debt.

shiningsea

I'm confused with the answer. Are you saying yes, they can still sue and get a judgement? Are you saying, yes, the statute of limitations stopped running when I moved out of state?

quincy

I'm confused with the answer. Are you saying yes, they can still sue and get a judgement? Are you saying, yes, the statute of limitations stopped running when I moved out of state?
Yes. You can still be sued for the debt because, until it is paid, you still owe the money. But you are able to use as a defense to a lawsuit the expiration of the limits placed on collection of the debt. If you do not respond to a lawsuit filed against you and present the statute of limitations as a defense, the creditor can obtain a default judgment against you.

shiningsea

Ok I see. I will definitely respond if I get anyting. So would you know if the statute of limitations stopped running when I moved to California in 2012? I don't anything about how SOL or tolling works.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">