• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Divorce Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

website2560

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY - Suffolk County

My wife served me 9 months ago. However, she has been procrastinating in signing papers
and has been very difficult. We have NO kids.

I'm ready to file a preliminary conference/RJI with the court. She's been on unemployment for 15 months
and I think it's about to end. I've maintained employment and my earnings are adequate.

Can the court make me pay her maintenance and/or lawyer fees?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY - Suffolk County

My wife served me 9 months ago. However, she has been procrastinating in signing papers
and has been very difficult. We have NO kids.

I'm ready to file a preliminary conference/RJI with the court. She's been on unemployment for 15 months
and I think it's about to end. I've maintained employment and my earnings are adequate.

Can the court make me pay her maintenance and/or lawyer fees?
It kind of depends on just how much you are earning...and how long you have been married...and how long each of you were out of the workforce.

Maintenance and lawyer fees are two different animals and the devil is in the details.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">