• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help me please! I need some guidance.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rygar68

Hello Everyone,

I live is Maryland. My situation appears to be complex because every time I go to shop for homeowners’ insurance it is a challenge to get the insurance companies to understand my situation. They all do something different and give me a hard time like it is my fault. I wanted to understand what the correct method is. Let me explain. My girlfriend and I bought a house 10 years ago together. The mortgage is in my name only because I had no problem getting a conventional loan. My girlfriend is listed on the deed with me so yes, it is her house just as it is mine. I do not live there for two reasons. One I live with my uncle because I care for him and two my girlfriend and I do not get along but we have made it work since we own the house together and we have some dogs that I still go visit. I do visit the house ocassionally. So really x-girlfriend yet we both never say it but realize that is the case. I also take care of all the maintenance and she handles all the cleaning. We still help each other out and we split all the house related bills 50/50 still. I make a lot more than she does. Even though I do not live there I still help out. This is her primary house but not my primary house. This is the only house I own that has my name on it.

When I call insurance companies they are so confused and sometimes explain stuff I do not understand. I just want to get quotes on homeowners’ insurance the correct way. No one can seem to tell me how to proceed. The problem comes when they hear it is not my primary home. All hell breaks loose. I explain to them that my X-GF is there all the time and it is her primary and I visit. I spend most of my time at my uncle’s house because he has a tough time getting around due to his age and health.

My mortgage company would want me listed first then my GF on the homeowners since the mortgage is under my name. Does anyone know the best way to handle this? Why is it such a pain. Why would I consider this a second home when it is my xGF's primary home and we are both on the deed? I just do not understand all the rules so any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

adjusterjack

My girlfriend and I bought a house 10 years ago together.
Well, what have you been doing for insurance for the past 10 years?

How many years has your current living arrangement been going on?

What have you been doing for insurance during that period?

rygar68

Well I use to stay there in the beginning and go back and forth from house to house so the house with my girlfriend was where I was staying at most but that all changed. I have homeowners and always had homeowners but most any agency covers me and my girlfriend but they all seem to do it differently

rygar68

Nope when I talk with the insurance companies I walk through my entire situation. I dont BS them, all the facts. That way they can tell me what i need to do since they are suppose to be the experts. I have not left my current provuder just like to shop around every year or so for a cheaper rate because insurance companies just love to increase their premiums at time of renewal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">