• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!! Roommate/lease question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KLinLA

What is the name of your state? Los Angeles, California.

Thank you for taking the time to look this over. I will try to be brief.
Situation: I am sharing a rental house with a roommate. We get along, but don't really like each other. I took over the lease from someone else in Oct. 2003. My roommate has asked me to leave. She has been here longer and wants to keep the house. I would like to propose to her that I leave in June in order for me to make a smooth transition.

So, here is my question. If she refuses my suggestion or we cannot agree on a date for me to move. I stand my ground, the landlord gets involved and wants to "evict" just me, is that legal? Or would eviction proceedings apply to all parties on the lease? I have broken no terms of the rental agreement with the landlord. This is obviously a worst case scenario, but it would be helpful to know my rights.

I signed a property lease addendum October 23,2003. The addendum states that "all current lease provisions are handed over to Kristan"
The original lease states "xxx and Kristan hereinafter individually and collectively called tenant. This was a two year lease that becomes month to month as of February 1, 2004

Again, thank you for your time! I would appreciate any thoughts!

Kristan

JETX

"So, here is my question. If she refuses my suggestion or we cannot agree on a date for me to move. I stand my ground, the landlord gets involved and wants to "evict" just me, is that legal?"
*** Without reviewing your EXACT lease, it is hard to determine whether you are an 'independent' lessor (separate lease from your roommate) or a 'joint lessor' (combined lease).

Simply, if you are an 'independent', the landlord can terminate YOUR lease without any impact on the other tenant. However, if you are a joint tenant, then the landlord would have to terminate both of you..... but could then re-lease to only the other party.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">