• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Here or there

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


New member
So I am married to an amazing Peruvian woman and we are trying to decide which is better, start the immigration process here or to return to the US and start it there. I have been told that both have positives and negatives.
So my questions are:

1. Which is the best way
2. What are the names for each process

Thank you
Last edited:


Senior Member
The best way is for the two of you to visit the US Embassy in Peru and discuss the process. You'll probably have to get things started there to make sure she can legally enter and reside in the US.

You would be wise to spend some time on the USCIS website:



Senior Member
You likely cannot return to the US with your wife and start the process in the US. If she does not have an immigrant visa, and she enters the US with a non-immigrant visa while intending to immigrate, she would be committing immigration fraud. The process is to file an I-130 (petition for alien relative), wait for the approval to be sent to the embassy in Lima, and finish with the consular processing. There's more information here: https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/consular-processing

BTW, I am also married to an amazing Peruvian woman.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential