• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hey PayrollDude

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I know you're not working in HR and Payroll any more but before you left the industry, did you have much, if any, experience or exposure to Health Reimbursement Accounts? Are they common or not in your neck of the woods?

This is more curiosity after a conversation I had elsewhere.

Who else in this group has an HR background? Zigner? eerelations?

PayrollHRGuy

I know you're not working in HR and Payroll any more but before you left the industry, did you have much, if any, experience or exposure to Health Reimbursement Accounts? Are they common or not in your neck of the woods?

Pretty much zero with the exception of spending about 3 months of investigation and doing cost analysis. We decided that in our area, client/employee base and sheer hassle it wasn't worth it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have some HR experience, but we're a small-ish company and haven't dealt with anything like that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We haven't dealt with them either. We started offering an HSA about seven years ago but an HRA, no.

LdiJ

I have lots of experience with HSAs on the tax side, but virtually nothing with HRAs.

Reactions: cbg

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, so as to what this was all about in the event that anyone cares.

Earlier in the week, I had an employee inquire about an HRA he believed he was enrolled in. I explained that he was actually enrolled in an HSA and explained the difference between the two products. End of issue. So I thought.

Well, it was the end of the issue as far as the employee was concerned. But you all know my weird habit of playing around in the archives when I have ten minutes and nothing better to do, or when I need a distraction while my husband is watching reruns of his favorite show, Supernatural, which I can take or leave alone but have to at least pretend to be watching. But I digress.

About fifteen years ago we acquired us a poster who was enamored of HRA's. He wanted everyone to drop their group policy and buy an HRA. He never quite caught on to the fact that Joe Employee could only enroll in an HRA if his employer offered one. And for the four or five years he was a member, every time there was a question about group plans, he was there urging the poster to dump his group plan in favor of an HRA. Pretty obnoxious about it, too.

So when I ran into these old posts right at the same time I had an employee asking about it, I figured I'd see if they ever caught on, now that it's been a decade since he finally left/was encouraged by management to leave (I don't know which). The only ones I've found have heavy restrictions on them. HSA's are still more popular. Sorry, old boy, your fortune selling HRA's will just have to wait another few years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">