• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hi, I'm a salary exempt employee, if my company has reduced my hours are they legally allowed to reduce my salary?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmm5882

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hello and thank you in advance!

I am the Mid-Atlantic Regional Manager for my company. I spend 100% of my time working from home or traveling throughout my territory. My corporate office is located in GA, I only go there twice a year for yearly meetings. My company has reduced my working hours by 40%, since i'm a salary exempt employee don't they have to honor and pay my full salary regardless of the reduction in hours?

Any advice, tips, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Kevin

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Absent some sort of bonafide contract, your employer is allowed to adjust your rate of pay as they see fit, so long as they pay the appropriate minimum wage.

kmm5882

Yes I have a contract outlining my base salary + commissions. I am not an hourly employee, nor do I get paid for any overtime. I can work 5 hours or work 60 hours and get the same paycheck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes I have a contract outlining my base salary + commissions. I am not an hourly employee, nor do I get paid for any overtime. I can work 5 hours or work 60 hours and get the same paycheck.
You would want to have your purported contract reviewed by a local attorney.

adjusterjack

Yes I have a contract outlining my base salary + commissions.
The terms and conditions of your contract determines whether your salary continues as it.

I suggest you read it carefully. If it's not clear to you, take it to an attorney for review.

xylene

Yes I have a contract outlining my base salary + commissions.
Outlines or guarantees? Big difference.

Being salaried exempt does not mean your duties, pay and other compensation cannot be cut.

I would be very surprised if you have a true contract for employment, and even if it did I would be surprised if it made not provisions for changes in circumstances.

Here's a good question for you: What is the duration of the contract, and who and under what circumstances may it be altered or canceled?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">