• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High Functioning Autism and AP courses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Blue

Her grades are bad ONLY because she turn in assignments late. If they were on time, she would have an A in all 4 classes.
She is overloaded with AP classes. The ones she does well in keep...the others switch to honors. ETA: She is likely late because those classes are not as interesting to her.

Just Blue

Thank you for the suggestion. I am open to any suggestions. We have a wall calendar of assignments and due dates that we go over every week, and a planner that she takes to school. A folder with all homework assignments in it. I study and quiz with her weekly. Often the assignments are done, she forgets to turn them in. ADHD is part of autism and she is easily distracted, even with her medication. Sorry that I was not clear earlier that she does not need extra time to complete the assignments. Often they are done as I do them with her so I know they are done. She looses them between school and home. It is frustrating to me as well.
kw0602, I mean this with all kindness. You really need to educate yourself on your child's Dx.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thank you for the suggestion. I am open to any suggestions. We have a wall calendar of assignments and due dates that we go over every week, and a planner that she takes to school. A folder with all homework assignments in it. I study and quiz with her weekly. Often the assignments are done, she forgets to turn them in. ADHD is part of autism and she is easily distracted, even with her medication. Sorry that I was not clear earlier that she does not need extra time to complete the assignments. Often they are done as I do them with her so I know they are done. She looses them between school and home. It is frustrating to me as well.
I'm not sure why you have your child in AP classes. Do you intend on going to college with her?

No, I am not kidding.

At some point, your child has to learn to stand on her own 2 feet. Even neurotypical children go through this. Some take longer than others to get their acts together.

Yours is not a legal question, but a parenting question.

Believe me, as a parent with Tiger Mother tendencies, I understand.

Just Blue

I'm not sure why you have your child in AP classes. Do you intend on going to college with her?

No, I am not kidding.

At some point, your child has to learn to stand on her own 2 feet. Even neurotypical children go through this. Some take longer than others to get their acts together.

Yours is not a legal question, but a parenting question.

Believe me, as a parent with Tiger Mother tendencies, I understand.
lil'blu got a D in English in 6th grade because she was bored with her teacher and the assignments given to her. I said ...Okay. How bored do you think you will be in when you are kicked out of the LEEP program? Next report card she got an A in English.

HRZ

You may need to be hyper supportive and coordinate to work with each teacher to make sure work is turned in on time ...the AP staffers I know tend to be very supportive of success in thier programs

IS there any reason to suspect she is deliberately sabotagging her programs ...teens sometimes have odd views !

LdiJ

She's not getting them turned in ON TIME. That is not handling the course load when she is doing it in other AP classes.
Yes, but OP was clear that the work was getting done on time. I see that more as an organizational issue rather than an inability to handle the course load. She would be just as lacking in a non AP class about getting home work turned in on time. Its not the difficulty of the home work that is causing the problem.

PayrollHRGuy

In that post, she twice wrote "often". She doesn't seem to often fail to turn them in for the other two classes. As someone that raised a now 27-year-old son with autism, I can tell you that it wouldn't be selective to classes if it was an ASD issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">