• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High School drug tests & Shy bladder (Paruresis)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WLOPA

Texas

My school is having drug testing, but they are doing urine sampling and I am unable to pee because I have Paruresis.
They are going to count it as positive and put it on my record if I am not able to pee next time. What can I do?

(p.s.)
I've already missed well over 2 and a half hours of class time because of this. It's affecting my grade too.

quincy

Why is your school having drug testing? Is this schoolwide or for athletes or what? Public or private school?

FlyingRon

There are districts that test all athletes and some that even go beyond that for all extracurricular activity participants and even those who park on campus.

I'd threaten a 504 lawsuit unless they can come up with some alternate means of compliance.

quincy

There are districts that test all athletes and some that even go beyond that for all extracurricular activity participants and even those who park on campus.

I'd threaten a 504 lawsuit unless they can come up with some alternate means of compliance.
I figure it is probably for athletics but wanted to make sure it was not a schoolwide testing for drugs. :)

FlyingRon

The recourse, either way, is the same (and as I indicated, in some schools it pretty much is schoolwide... and in many cases, the parents can opt the kids in even if they aren't doing any activities). Title IX extends the equal protection even to athletics. It's illegal for them to discriminate on the basis of a disability.

I've been all over this because my son had diabetes. My daughter was gifted. I've generally found that schools will TELL you one thing at first but when you stand in their office or bring an attorney in to point out they're violating the law, suddenly accommodations which didn't exist magically appear.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Texas

My school is having drug testing, but they are doing urine sampling and I am unable to pee because I have Paruresis.
They are going to count it as positive and put it on my record if I am not able to pee next time. What can I do?

(p.s.)
I've already missed well over 2 and a half hours of class time because of this. It's affecting my grade too.
Is this an actual diagnosis by a doctor, or merely a self diagnosis based on online definitions of the condition?

Have you been to a urologist to rule out medical problems?

After getting the all clear from a urologist, have you obtained therapy?

My point being, in order to qualify for an accommodation, you first need the documentation that you actually have the condition. You parents saying, "It's all in your head" would indicate that you have not gone through the process to get the necessary documentation.

FlyingRon

"It's all in your head"
Such is legitimately the case in parauresis.

After getting the all clear from a urologist, have you obtained therapy?
Such is not a requirement before getting section 504 accommodations.

My point being, in order to qualify for an accommodation, you first need the documentation that you actually have the condition
No, it just has to be RECOGNIZED that they have the conditioned. Documentation helps, but is not strictly required for section 504.

justalayman

i think not2cleverred’s statement that the condition must be documented is stating it must be recognized. When a doctor makes such a diagnosis that the condition is recognized, the doctor will document it. You can’t really have one without the other in the practical sense.

To the statement by the parents of it being in the kids head:
I suspect it isn’t a recognition of the mental condition but just the opposite. When a person makes such a statement, it is meant as expressing doubt of the claim.

ajkroy

There are plenty of other ways to test for drugs in the system. Hair follicle test and nail tests are the most common. Ask your doctor to order one of those tests and for the results to be sent to the school.

justalayman

There are plenty of other ways to test for drugs in the system. Hair follicle test and nail tests are the most common. Ask your doctor to order one of those tests and for the results to be sent to the school.
those tests show past use. A urine test shows current use. If you want to know if the kid is high now it’s blood or urine.

justalayman

If they get it near the root, it only takes about a week for drug use to show up in the hair testing.
It’s going to depend on what the school is looking for and what they can legally mandate. Many entities object to a hair test because it does show historical use. Thst can be a problem in some situations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">