• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and run, dealer not being helpful

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ephalion

What is the name of your state? Ca

I was the victim of a hit and run accident, the other car (used) only had dealer plates on it. I contacted the dealership who sold the car, and they refuse to be of any assistance. Is there any way to make them turn over the information on the owner?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
File a claim with your own insurance company and let them deal with it. Do you have collision coverage?

How do you know what dealership was involved and that they don't actually own the car themselves?

adjusterjack

What is the name of your state? Ca

I was the victim of a hit and run accident, the other car (used) only had dealer plates on it. I contacted the dealership who sold the car, and they refuse to be of any assistance. Is there any way to make them turn over the information on the owner?
Sure. Serve the dealer with a lawsuit alleging that the dealership owned the car because of the dealer plate. You'll get the identity of the driver real quick.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sure. Serve the dealer with a lawsuit alleging that the dealership owned the car because of the dealer plate. You'll get the identity of the driver real quick.
I don't agree with this. In fact, such action could be considered frivolous and subject the OP to sanctions. (Note, I said "could be", not "would be").

justalayman

If you mean a dealer plate as in an actual metal license plate, then yes, sue the dealer and name John Doe as the driver. If there was a dealer plate on it the car apparently was still owned by the dealer st the time of the accident. Once you get the ball rolling you can use the power of the court to demand the dealer disclose the name of the person driving the car at the time.

If you mean a temp plate such as a paper plate, then sue John Doe to get the suit started and use the powers of the court to issue a subpoena requiring the dealer to provide the name of the buyer of that car.

Ephalion

How do you know what dealership was involved and that they don't actually own the car themselves?
I didn’t say the dealership was involved, in trying to ID the driver. The car had their paper plate (from the dealership) as well as the same torn bumper sticker (one of those honor roll ones) as the one they have listed as “just sold” on their site. I was just trying to see if there was a way to get the owners insurance information for criminal charges.

I’ve already filed with my insurance company and they suggested a lawyer or private investigator. I was just trying to see the most cost effective way to handle it.

justalayman

I didn’t say the dealership was involved, in trying to ID the driver. The car had their paper plate (from the dealership) as well as the same torn bumper sticker (one of those honor roll ones) as the one they have listed as “just sold” on their site. I was just trying to see if there was a way to get the owners insurance information for criminal charges.

I’ve already filed with my insurance company and they suggested a lawyer or private investigator. I was just trying to see the most cost effective way to handle it.
You can file a John Doe suit and use the powers of the court to obtain the buyers name from the dealer.

If you reported this to the police (I presume you did), I would be surprised if the police didn’t make a visit to the dealer to obtain the buyers name.

HRZ

Why isn't your insurance carrier doing this...they know the drill ...

Don't ignore the possibility that some car buyers "forget " to get thier vehicle properly insured and I just gotta bet that many a hit and run driver is lacking license or insurance

If f it was a hit and run of a magnitude sufficient to require a stop and report ...are police involved ?

Ephalion

It’s Los Angeles, they pretty much told me I would have to do my own leg work because the traffic division is swamped and probably wouldn’t follow it up without a positive ID of the driver. I even showed them the video from my dash cam and the dealers pictures of the car, they said they would need a subpoena to get the information. I was able I get the VIN, and my insurance company said they would look into it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">