• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hit from rear in nj license ny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I work in New Jersey and I was hit from the rear.
I was at a red light and a van rear ended me. I told the driver that my back hurt and he yelled that I was playing games. I was shaken and scared. I got all of his information. My purse was locked in the trunk. He hit me so hard that he smashed the trunk in . The police were unable to get the information out of the trunk. They just took my information verbally. An ambulance took a report. The police took a report. I don't know what to expect and I don't know what to do.

Whats next?



I hope you were not injured seriously! Because there are no legal issues in your case yet, you may not get much response here. As to your questions, the first thing you should do, if you haven't already, is to inform your insurance company of the accident. This is even if you are not formally making a claim with them. Then I would also call the other driver's insurance company, if they haven't contacted you, and let them know what happened. Both companies will investigate.

With physical damage to a vehicle, you can either (1) make a claim with your own insurance company if you have Collision Coverage (this is easier) but you have to pay your deductible for now and they fix your car no matter who's fault it is or (2) make a claim with the other driver's insurance company. They will investigate and fix the car if it is determined they have liability. This second choice takes longer but sometimes is the only recourse if you do *not* carry Collision on your own insurance policy.

The first choice is better and faster usually, AND if it is determined that the other driver is at fault, you would most likely get your deductible back! After your own insurance company subrogates or 'goes after' the other driver's insurance company for the money it paid out to you to get the car fixed under your Collision coverage.

Additionally, you should follow closely what the body shop does. You can call them and ask them to fax you an estimate of repairs needed.

You should get a copy of the police report as soon as it is available.

And lastly but most importantly, be sure to see your doctor as soon as practicable. If you are hurt to the extent that you will need treatment (physical therapy or pain meds, etc.), it is better to do this *now* than wait for weeks. If your injuries are serious or because you just want to, you might try a free consultation with a personal injury attorney who is also a member of the trial association of your state (just in case you have to file a lawsuit in the future). Do not hire anyone at this point unless you feel it is absolutely necessary. You need time to see how the insurance companies are going to deal with the physical damage. You also need time to see how your injuries are healing before you even think about a bodily injury claim.

Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you want more suggestions or just want to chat. I know how it feels though, the car wreck I was in was just a little over a year ago. I was very confused as to what was to happened as I had never been in a car accident in 30 years... I mean, ummm lessee 10 years of driving... sheesh I'm not THAT old.... lol

I wish you the best in the coming ordeal.......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential