• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HLOUIS JR - locked thread

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LindaP777

homeowners association

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Florida - Are there any laws that govern Homeowners association dues/charges and what they must do to charge homeowners? I move to my new home in 2001. I was not aware that you were bound to pay fees to a homeowners association. In any case, I ignored all the notices until this year when I got a notice of a lien against my home from an attorney. It says enclosed please find a copy of a recorded claim of Lien filed against my poroperty due to my failure to pay the dues assessed against my property. The dues are $263.44 and the recording fee is $10, attorney fee of $225 and satisfaction fee of $50. Total due is $548.44. That appears to be overkill where the attorney's fees are almost as much as the dues. It claims that these dues cover service provided by Homeowners's Association. Now based on the list of services - there are really no services completed. The list covers management fees, office expenses, tax return, legal fees, utilities, license and fee, insurance, lawn maintenance, lawn supplies, general maintenance, reserve transfers and contingency. The total budget for 2007 is $12,240 and the annual assessment is $120 for 102 units in my neighborhood. Is there any thing I can do about this or will I just have to suck it up and pay the darn fee of $548.44?

This is my first time here so please forgive me if I don't follow protocal for postings. I just really need some advice.

To answer your question, suck it up and pay the fees. The time for questioning was when you recieved the first notice. The time for objecting was before you bought your house!

nextwife

If you had not wanted to pay HOA, then you should NOT have bought a house controlled by an association!

Some Random Guy

And to keep piling on...

The $225 for attorneys fees is very reasonable. Do not compare it to the amount o fees that you failed to pay. It is based on the hours that the attorney worked reviewing the case, preparing documents and filing the lein. You are looking at only 1-3 hours of lawyer and paralegal time here.

If you want to fight them on this, then expect the lawyer's fees to jump significantly, into the thousands of dollars. Read your HOA documents (CC&Rs) and find the section where they are allowed to recover the costs of their collection efforts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">