• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hmmm, did I got screwed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LdiJ

Bali Hai said:
Sinceyou are an accountant, you should instruct your alimony paying clients to resubmit a W4 each year that will only withhold the amount of the tax liability for that year.

You appear to saying all alimony payers get a whopping refund like it fell from the sky. Letting the goverment use your money all year with no interest is stupid.
Of course I instruct my clients to adjust their W4s. Its the first year I am talking about...not ongoing years. Which is why I even brought it up to the OP in the first place...to 1) make sure that the OP realizes that he gets to take the deduction, and 2) so that he is aware that his withholding probably needs to be adjusted.

There is no point in what you are saying.

You are trying to rationalize (sugarcoat) alimony to someone who pays it with a so-called "tax benefit" as a means to try and make it more palatable.

That's just plain BS.

As the gentleman said, "let me keep MY money awarded as alimony and I'll pay the tax on it.

There are two reasons for alimony:

1. To keep women off welfare. The courts know women do not have what it takes to keep a job.

2. To keep the economy healthy. The courts know that men tend to save money because they know the value and hard work it takes to get it. Women tend to spend every dime they come into contact with.
Your bitterness regarding your divorce is completely apparent here.....your bias and ignorance regarding women as well. :rolleyes:

This forum is for legal advice. Its not a personal "vent" site for you...nor is it a emotional support forum. You aren't giving legal advice.

Doji

My child support is being raised $150.00 a month and in adddition to that contribute 50% to the cost of clothing. I don't have a problem paying but the redraft of the Constent Order does not reflect I pick my daughter up 3 days a week from school, every doctor's and dentist visit, therapist every week, or the clothes thing. Should it, if I'm doing it? Isn't clothes part of CS? I guess down the road if it happens, I have no proof of this time with my daughter. Also, I am to pay half of her lawyer fees for this matter, ex told me she is doing it for nothing, meaning I'm paying it all. Is that legal to lie? I am to sign an Affidavit of Voluntary Excution or the above matter. I guess that's normal?

Thanks, any input?

BrunoS

this is indeed a very interesting thread...and is getting quite off point.

But I submit:

1) More men pay alimony then women pay to men. It's a FACT.
2) Most attorneys do use CD-ROM legal pdf. files. I do too. they're very good.
3) Judges and attorneys are both members of the state bar...and they all party together after a case is closed, and everybody collects the fees...yahoo.
4) To the person recieving support: it is never enough
5) To the person paying support: any amount is too much

6) And the tax witholding excuse: That's bull, just send in the quarterly estimated amount....very simple!!

That's why its' called DIVORCE. Too bad it never really ends... the courts keep things going so you are always going back and paying more attorney fees. Something called jurisdiction over a case.

Also: every job i've ever had, the women working with me have made the same dollar per hour that I have...and have had every same opportunity I have. I do however, have yet to see a woman work endless 16-hour double shifts for her husband, as I have done for over 15 years...and then stick it to you for support after Divorce since that's what it took to pay for a so called standard-of-living (working 2080 base hours/ plus 500-1000 of overtime every year!!). Thus I am qualified.

I am not bitter, just wish everyone would put their heads together and understand there IS a way to agree on money after Divorce, there is a lot more in the pot for everyone if things can be kept OUT OF COURT!

LdiJ

BrunoS said:
I am not bitter, just wish everyone would put their heads together and understand there IS a way to agree on money after Divorce, there is a lot more in the pot for everyone if things can be kept OUT OF COURT!
Well...it can't be kept completely out of court, because without court orders nothing is enforceable.

However, you are completely correct that if people can come to agreements (properly signed off on by a judge) that everybody saves a ton of money. However the reason why most people can't/won't come to agreements is because one of the parties is attempting to get something different than what a judge would normally order.

AHA

BrunoS said:
I do however, have yet to see a woman work endless 16-hour double shifts for her husband,
Well, then you haven't worked with the same women I have. Unlucky for you, you are working with the "lazy" ones.

Rushia

AHA said:
Well, then you haven't worked with the same women I have. Unlucky for you, you are working with the "lazy" ones.

I put in 10 or more hours per day. I make more than my husband. We work at the same plant. I put in most of the overtime when it's offered to us. He declines and he stays home with the children. Of course, my husband is in school during the day.....

So I'd have to agree with you AHA. Mr. Bitter must be dealing with some of the lazy ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">