• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA Dues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JamesWhitney

What is the name of your state? Idaho

I manage our HOA and we have two members overpaid their yearly dues by $5.00. Does the HOA have to repay the overage (are we obligated to repay it) or can we apply it to next year's dues? Both members refuse to answer communications asking them if they want to be repaid. It was very clear what they actually owed and I'm asking because both are very difficult people to deal with who have historically caused problems in our HOA. Thanks in advance.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Idaho

I manage our HOA and we have two members overpaid their yearly dues by $5.00. Does the HOA have to repay the overage (are we obligated to repay it) or can we apply it to next year's dues? Both members refuse to answer communications asking them if they want to be repaid. It was very clear what they actually owed and I'm asking because both are very difficult people to deal with who have historically caused problems in our HOA. Thanks in advance.
I would either just send them a check, or apply the extra to the next year's dues. If they won't communicate with you either of those options are the best you can do.

zddoodah

I manage our HOA and we have two members overpaid their yearly dues by $5.00. Does the HOA have to repay the overage (are we obligated to repay it) or can we apply it to next year's dues?
$5 = a legally trivial amount. Since the members who overpaid are non-communicative, simply cut them checks, which will guarantee you'll have no issues in the future.

eerelations

I would send them an email - with a receipt option on it - and say: "You have overpaid your HOA fees by $5. We can return the $5 to you by cheque, or we can apply the $5 to next year's fees. This is your choice. If you don't respond to this email by (specified date, I reco about a month later) we will apply the the $5 to next year's fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">