• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home improvement contractor not living up to what he said

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RPagington

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

My wife and I have a contract to renovate a porch and kitchen. Part of the contract was a new french door, 3 new windows, a transom window and a new garden window. For the purchase of these the contract has allotments. The renovator explained that he puts in allotments and what money is not used to purchase each item is not charged on the final payment. He also said I would receive the store receipts and he passes on his 10% discount. The final price would include shipping and tax. For the windows, 3 of them, he has 1200. I tried several times to get him to purchase Pella which he gave me an email price of 210 each plus tax and shipping. Finally after a week I agreed to MW windows, he gave me a verbal price of 188 each plus tax and shipping cost. Same with the door. He has 2400 for the door, told me the door was between 1200 and 1400 plus tax and shipping. Now the final payment is due and he is giving me a price of 817 for the windows and 1857 for the door. He says that he has admin fees also that I have to pay. He never mentioned any additional fees and the contract says nothing about how the allotment is charged. How do I fight this?

Also, through the bid process I told him to plan on replacing rotten wood in certain walls. He said he would include that in the contract. He did run into 3 boards that were rotten but not the entire wall that I thought would have to be replaced so that stayed. He is trying to add 254 dollars for rotten wood and there is no provision for that in the contract.

I am looking for an attorney but that takes time so I am looking for some advice.

Thanks,
Ralph
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">