• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home owners insurance claim Allstate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Florida.

After the hurricanes I made my home insurance claims, there is something called recoverable depreciation, The insurance company said that the repairs must be made before I can receive the money, I sold the home as is and took the loss for damages. Can they be forced to dispurse the funds? I feel this is money owed to me.

Mr. Ricco

Junior Member
It depends. If your policy says under the Loss Condition section you have the right to "repair or replace" the damaged property, that does not mean you have to repair the damage to get replacement cost coverage. You can buy another house, build a new house, etc. and qualify at least here in Washington State.
For example, let's day the damages were $200,000, they paid you $100,000 as Actual Cash Value, that means there is/was $100,000 in replacement cost benefits available to you. You then purchased another, existing house and paid $300,000 for it. Of that amount, $50,000 was the lot value and $10,000 the value of the site improvements. Therefore what you paid for the new house was $300,000 minus $50,000, minus $10,000 or $240,000. Since you spent or are obligated by Promissory Note, you "replaced the damaged property" by purchasing another property. Since you spend $240,000 replacing damged property, you spent more then the $200,000 replacement cost and qualify for the $100,000 in replacment cost benefits.
Note: I am not familiar with Florida HO policies or law in your State, so check out both.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential