• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Honest rapid prototyping?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I have discussed with my attorney about this, but he doesn't know what to do as the company is well respected. Both companies have a huge web presence. When the first company I contacted didn't get back to me after a few weeks and I found out they were so irresponsible, that they lost my prototype and blueprints is why IO came to the 2nd company. This new company assured they'd have my prototype ready for production run in a few short weeks, but now is almost a year. They had it almost right once, but now everything is way off. I can't understand how this happened.
That's why I'm beginning to believe something more nefarious is taking place. I have a feeling they are trying to financially ruin me and to dissuade me enough in the hopes of stealing my invention. If they do, I'm guessing I'll have a lawsuit on my hands, but I'll be broke by then and won't be able to afford an attorney.
Sorry, but I'm beginning think it's the typical story where the huge corporate monolith steps on the small guy to steal his invention while laughing all the way to the bank.
I would not worry about anyone stealing your invention (at this point).

You currently have your PPA date and dates showing work on getting the invention ready for testing and production ("reduction to practice"). If you keep good records of the progress made on getting your invention made, you should be able to file the regular patent before the expiration date of the PPA.

Perhaps instead of a new company to assemble your invention, you need a new attorney to advise you. ;)

Good luck.

inventor.x

update

Well I gave up on this company. At my last meeting with them, the president of the company assured he'd make it right. When i returned, all 4 parts were wrong. I realize i just wasted 10 months of my time and $1500 for nothing. I guess I'll just give up on my patent too, since there isn't a competent metal forming company anywhere that can make a square metal box. If there is one anywhere in the US, could someone please let me know.

justalayman

A
Square metal box. That is a bit vague but if you are talking about a drawn box, check into the companies that make electrical boxes. A standard box is 4x4x1 1/2 or 4x4x2 1/8.

I have lost most of my contacts I had with machine shops since so many of them close theirs doors in the last 20-30 years so I cannot point to one and suggest them but seriously, your dilemma doesn't make a lot of sense. You said you could make the parts so why not make your initial run of 10 and go from there?

quincy

Well I gave up on this company. At my last meeting with them, the president of the company assured he'd make it right. When i returned, all 4 parts were wrong. I realize i just wasted 10 months of my time and $1500 for nothing. I guess I'll just give up on my patent too, since there isn't a competent metal forming company anywhere that can make a square metal box. If there is one anywhere in the US, could someone please let me know.
You can still file your patent application in August. Request a delay under the pilot program. Use the time to find a new metal forming company. Or, if you have a feeling your invention is never going to work as designed, you could work on a redesign. Or you could give it all up.

You have some options but you have to look at all of them and decide which is the best for you. I am sorry you are continuing to have problems but no one here can make the decision as to what to do for you.

inventor.x

metal box

The reason I can't do it myself is because I had a few hundred orders and i can't make them cosmetically appealing(I need laser cut). I can only make a few a day and I need several hundred a day, possibly thousands per day. My invention is a high security door lock that is intruder proof, and the metal box is the housing for it.
My attorney says not to worry as he's filing missing parts to delay another year, like you suggested. Plus I'm meeting with another metal forming company next week in Kansas City.

quincy

The reason I can't do it myself is because I had a few hundred orders and i can't make them cosmetically appealing(I need laser cut). I can only make a few a day and I need several hundred a day, possibly thousands per day. My invention is a high security door lock that is intruder proof, and the metal box is the housing for it.
My attorney says not to worry as he's filing missing parts to delay another year, like you suggested. Plus I'm meeting with another metal forming company next week in Kansas City.
I am happy to hear you have an attorney who is assisting you and will file for the delay.

I am also happy to hear that are forging ahead, despite the frustrations you have experienced this past year. With luck, the metal forming company in Kansas City will be able to succeed where the other company has not.

Good luck, inventor.x.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">